SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

I have a 2018 V 90 CC. The sunroof shade was making a screeching noise when opening, so I mentioned it during my 10k oil change and it turned into a 5 day project at the shop where they replaced basically the whole shade mechanism / tracks etc.

The shade works, but when I close my car doors the sunroof (glass panels) visibly shake. Mainly the back of the car. I never noticed it before. I looked from the inside and there is a slight, maybe 1/4 inch give if I push against the glass from the inside.

Is this normal, has anyone else seen this?

I'd hate to be the hypochondriac volvo driver...

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
336 Posts
The sunroof popping up when you close the door is normal. Assuming it's the rear of the front glass section. Most cars should do it. It's popping up because of air pressure. Mine does it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks,

Mine is the rear panel... I went in today and they confirmed it was normal.... It just seemed kinda flimsy to me.

Thank you!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Thanks,

Mine is the rear panel... I went in today and they confirmed it was normal.... It just seemed kinda flimsy to me.

Thank you!
Hmm I haven't seen my rear panel move.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My sunroof doesn't move a millimeter when I slam a door--2018 V90 Inscription T6.

Stephan
Is there any give to the glass if you push on it? I'm not sure how it's attached, it almost looks like the rubber seal is holding it up so when I push the back edge of the back panel it goes down maybe 3-5 mm.

·
Registered
858 Posts
The sunroof popping up when you close the door is normal. Assuming it's the rear of the front glass section. Most cars should do it. It's popping up because of air pressure. Mine does it.

2018 V90CC Ours does not move. No movement of any kind.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Is there any give to the glass if you push on it?
The glass is absolutely flush with the metal roof. If I push down on it hard, I can move it down a mm or two, but all I'm doing is compressing the rubber surround into which it is seated.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I wonder they are telling me it's supposed to move.
Sounds to me like your glass isn't glued in place properly. I'll bet if you put a putty knife under the edge--NOT recommending you do that--you could lift up a fair amount of the glass.

What happens if you gently push it up from the inside, sitting in the driver's or passenger's seat?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds to me like your glass isn't glued in place properly. I'll bet if you put a putty knife under the edge--NOT recommending you do that--you could lift up a fair amount of the glass.

What happens if you gently push it up from the inside, sitting in the driver's or passenger's seat?
So it's mostly the back panel and it moves up if I push up on it. - The rubber stays attached but it moves. I didn't try the knife - I'll stay away from that lol. Volvo Corporate said it should not be moving at all so I'm taking it to another dealer an hour away. I also noticed the visors in the front are both lose.

I guess the sun shade is a bigger project then they expected. The crazy part is that it didn't bug me that much --- I just figured , here I'm for my oil change, have a look at it and basically they destroyed the roof.

Thank you all for all of your input.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I have a 2018 V 90 CC. The sunroof shade was making a screeching noise when opening, so I mentioned it during my 10k oil change and it turned into a 5 day project at the shop where they replaced basically the whole shade mechanism / tracks etc.
I guess the sun shade is a bigger project then they expected. The crazy part is that it didn't bug me that much --- I just figured , here I'm for my oil change, have a look at it and basically they destroyed the roof.
Screeching seems like what some (myself included) have noticed on occasion with the SPA xc90; it is possible that something inherent in the design or parts shared across the product lines. I choose to ignore the sound.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The rear sunroof panel on my 2018 V90CC does this. I’ve also heard some rattling that could be related. I’m going to have the dealer check it out at my 1yr appointment.

·
Registered
320 Posts
We have an XC90 and a V90CC, neither of the panels move when you shut the doors. I did have an issue recently with a crunching noise coming from the shade when opening and they dealer is currently ordering parts to resolve. Not sure what the issue is as I did t have time to ask, but either way, that is not normal either.

·
Registered
183 Posts
My 2018 XC60 does exactly the same when closing the back doors, pops up a bit. It got me so worried at first, but I have no leaks and thought it is due to the very well insulated cabin that compressed air cannot easily escape so it pushes sunroof's rear panel up. Have not checked it with the dealer BUT they have already changed my sunshade mechanism due to rattling issues last year and I wonder if this is the case now that my panel pops up, after they did the works

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So I took to another dealer that re-did the whole repair - and it still pops up a bit but not as much - they are telling me its normal.

I know the SUVs don't have this issue- I checked the demos at the dealership - seems to be the V90 - maybe V60 .

Now however, it seems to me that the gap between the back glass and the back of the roof is a bit larger - maybe 3-5 mm where the rubber seal is only touching the metal roof and not the glass. So water goes straight in and out the back drain.... I have no idea if this is how it was or if I'm just being paranoid at this point. Also, the car appears to be noisier inside then I recall.

·
Registered
336 Posts
So I took to another dealer that re-did the whole repair - and it still pops up a bit but not as much - they are telling me its normal.

I know the SUVs don't have this issue- I checked the demos at the dealership - seems to be the V90 - maybe V60 .

Now however, it seems to me that the gap between the back glass and the back of the roof is a bit larger - maybe 3-5 mm where the rubber seal is only touching the metal roof and not the glass. So water goes straight in and out the back drain.... I have no idea if this is how it was or if I'm just being paranoid at this point. Also, the car appears to be noisier inside then I recall.
Contact Volvo corporate, say you are unhappy with it. I got some perks for complaining that my car was at the dealer for 3 weeks

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
564 Posts
Oh, c'mon, guys, if your roof glass pops up even a little bit on a V90, there's something wrong. The dealer is telling you that's normal? The first thing you learn when you go to Car-Dealer School is, "Repeat after me, 'They all do that.' Your customer is getting 500 miles per quart of oil? 'They all do that.' There's a shimmy at 70 mph? 'They all do that.'"

I have a 2018 V90 T6 Inspiration Polestar. I just went out and slammed all four doors, one after the other, and there was zero movement of the roof glass. Zero. I think the hood moved more. Maybe my car is faulty, too tightly sealed, and I need to let some water leaks in to fix it.

Yeah, that's the ticket...

floridawhitev90, get your roof fixed. savolvo, get your roof fixed. waking-crickets, get your roof fixed. kartboy1234, get your roof fixed. Unless you believe "they all do that." They don't.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts