SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 C70 coupe with just over 111,111 miles.

On the rear, underside of the sunroof glass, there is a narrow metal rail that, in profile, has a semicircular, downward projecting rear lip. The rail is attached to the underside of the glass with some sort of epoxy.

On my car, the epoxy has failed and the rail was rattling around loose until I (easily) removed it from the top of the liner.

Does this rail serve any significant purpose?

She may be showing her age, but it's still the best looking car I've ever owned.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry - I realized after posting that "rail" could be confused with the side rails on which the assembly slides. By "rail" I mean a thin metal strip or slat.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
I believe that's the pusher for the fabric liner (I could be wrong). So when you open the sunroof the liner goes with it. With the sunroof open, can you pull the liner shut now?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nope - the liner still travels back when the roof is opening.

Good luck with your new project, btw!

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Thanks!

Also, that's the limit of my knowledge, sorry to not help more. I hate sunroofs only because they always seem to break and cause more noise that outweighs any enjoyment I get from their seemingly short life. But that's just me. hehe.

·
Registered
121 Posts
There are rails on both the front and rear of the sunroof panel that are glued to the glass. Both have fallen off on my car with no apparent result other than that the rattles stopped. They are easy to reattach with windshield adhesive.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Its the glass support to prevent flex. The support rails came off on my sunroof too. I took the glass off, sanded off the epoxy, reglued and used 3M double sided tape. Been good so far. Pretty easy process, takes about 2 hours to fix.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I was wondering, as you removed the glass panel, if you or anyone else had replaced the rubber edge molding that is weathered and cracking on my car. This part is a lot less substantial and durable than the rubber molding on my S70. I have a new molding but it looks like a big job to remove the old piece and attach the new one. It also seems like a pain to remove and replace the glass panel. I reattached the rails by gluing them using c-clamps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts