SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've got some serious issues with my XC60. Whenever it is raining massivly for more than 30min it starts dropping rainwater from the roof inside the car. I either poors down inside the A-pillar or dripping from the reading lamps in the roof.

I've tried to replicate with a garden hose but have not been successfull.

If it put on tape around the sunroof, it stops dripping. I have tested all four tubes that is to evacuate water from the sunroof and they all seems to be fine (water comming of at each wheel).

I have also had it in at the Volvo dealer who can to replicate the issue either and says it is not much they can do. My car has unfortunettly ran out of warranty so in a little trickier situation dut to that.

I'm thinking of removing the indorr sealing myself to see if I can spot anything when using the garden hose but it's not an easy task, although I have instructions on paper from Vida.

Anyone that has experienced this before or have an idea of what could be causing this issue?

Thanks!

/Martin

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Took the car home from the dealer today since they fail to replicate the issue. They had it parked waiting for rain, does not seem very proactive if you ask me so I got tired of them.

As said, have tested all four tubes from the drain frame, both that they are working and tonight also tested by plugging them making sure they do not leak.

Next step for me is to make sure the actual drain frame does not leak, not quite sure yet of how though. Removing the sealing is the last thing I want to do.

I love the car but this is making me quite depressed. Not sure what is the worst, worthless dealer or that it actually is dripping water into the car.

Any ideas are much appreciated!

/Martin

·
Registered
325 Posts
How is you XC60 out of warranty? If I were you, and unsatisfied with the service, ask for the regional rep to get involved. I would hope that Volvo would be responsive and agree to pay to have the seal replaced as an act of goodwill. Another thought is to take pictures and provide them evidence of the leak.

·
Registered
301 Posts
^ +1 on escalating the issue with VCNA. The sunroof shouldn't be leaking with any amount of water, and a dealership should be able to try and solve the problem (I don't think parking it and waiting for rain counts)...

You must drive some serious miles to be out of warranty already though!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I'm located in Europe where we have 2 year warranty and my car was taken into traffic 2008-09-02, it actually has a very low chassienumber, so not that many XC60's was produced before mine.

Volvo just refers to the dealer, and dealer is extremly incompetent from my perspective. Could try another dealer though but I'm afraid they would act the same way, I have no faith in them.

/Martin

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update

Thought I would post an update.

I contacted volvo centrally via their webbsite and it took less than 24 hour before a customer relations manager called me up. He was very nice and listened carefully to my story about the dealer. Then he said he would contact another dealer to have them contact me.
Took less than 30 minutes before a service manager at another dealer nearby called me up and was keen to sort the issue for me. Another 30min later a technician called me up and we booked two days for when he wants to repair the car, unfortunettly 3-4 weeks away but no problem really. Both technician and servicemanager was confident in that they would find the leak, depending on what is causing the leak they agreed to try to see if Volvo would be interested in helping out with the financials.

Atleast it feels promissing now....

/Martin

·
Registered
442 Posts
I'm encouraged to see/hear that Volvo customer relations acted quickly on your issue once you brought it to their attention. Obviously the final proof will be in the eventual resolution of the issue, but at least you're moving in the right direction toward a solution. Good luck and keep us posted here.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I must have a good dealer. When I told them there was water in the car, they gave me a 2012 S60 loaner for 3 days. They cleaned everything up real nice. No musty smell at all. Very happy.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
An update on this issue.

The dealer called me today and said the car is ready for pick-up, so I will pick it up tomorrow morning. It's been in the shop since wednesday last week, so 7 working days in total. They've had the entire seeling (spelling?) and sunroof down investigating the leak. During this time the mechanic have called now and then explaining what they are doing and what ideas they are having etc. etc. Costs of about $2000 have been mentioned in theese calls but we have agreed that solving the issue is priority and we will have to deal with the costs later.

I think volvo will be up for a surprice if what they have done will solve the issue. They have modified some rubber edges on the actual sunroof, I'll supply pictures of it when I get the car back. So basically, it is a construction fault that I would guess will afect all sunroof equiped XC60's eventually. Although not that difficult and expensive to solve if you know what is causing the issue.

So what did it cost me? I was amazed when they called today saying the dealer and Volvo will take care of the costs... What a great surpise! I know it is a construction fault but still, the car is out of warranty and I have not even bought it from that dealer. I think I'll use the money to buy Skid and scuf plates instead:)

Wish me luck tomorrow, I'm hoping the issue is solved and the car have survived the dismounting/mounting of the interior... :)

/Martin

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
You can here see the rubber edge that has been shortened wth about 1cm. Previously it came all the way to the front of the sunroof.

/Martin

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update, the car has been dry ever since....

·
Registered
332 Posts
get those scurf plate yet?! :)

-[•_•]-

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've been having the same problem but it just got worst recently
Used to have wet footwells but nothing major and never worried about it
Now my reading lamps are dripping and it seems the footwells getting quite some water in it
I can see the rubber strap around the roof vent are peeling from the corners away from the car body
I asked the dealer beside me once about it and they asked for $800 to replace it since my car "2010" are out of warranty with 69k miles, but if this a major design fault then they should had issued a recall to fix it?
Do you think I should contact Volvo cause my dealer is an absolute thieve.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Dad's 2009 xc70 and my 2008 s80 had the same exact problem so i sold the car... Volvos between 2008 - 2012 (the ones before facelift) are bad quality.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone, my xc60 2010 white Volvo that I purchase in Sacramento CA a year ago. Move to Atlanta GA enjoying the move. On July 4th weekend it start raining and allot more then I am use to in California. The Sunroof started opening and closing on its own one day. The next day I noticed there was 5" of water on the driver side. Took it into the dealer and they said never had seen this problem. Both sunroof motor had to be replace, and re-calibrated. I paid 2,700.00 for this repair. When I picked up the car they said had dried the car out but it was still wet, and the sunroof worked.

That weekend I was driving home and it stared raining, I look down at my feet and it was a river of water coming in the car. Again I took it over to the deal to fix. Gave me a 2015.5 xc60 loner. Fantastic car. And said they will re-seal the windshield. I thought to myself how dose she knows right if that was the fix? 7 days later called and said the car was ready.

When they gave me the key and said they will pickup the cost 190.00. I thought really! The condition of the car was smelly, wet floor all over, and inside ceiling cover was dirty fingerprints.

So very disappointed took it home and cleaned and dry my car up. That week it rained and water coming in throw the inside lights, down the side, on the floorboards. OMG.

I just paid off this car. Took it back and checked it in for repair. At this point I had done my research and it looked like there was NO fix. So I decide to purchases another xc60 2011. In hopes that the deal will give me a full trade in for my car, for the new. No such luck. And did not re-fund my repair cost. Saying it added value to the car.

I love my new car hate my new car payment

Rob.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've checked this out with my dealer. Seems like Volvo has this issue solved since MY14 facelift - they have changed sealings and closing/opening mechanism.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've checked this out with my dealer. Seems like Volvo has this issue solved since MY14 facelift - they have changed sealings and closing/opening mechanism.
You may be correct, I'm comparing partnumbers between a vida 2011 version and a MY15 car looking at www.volvopartswebstore.com .

There are new partnumbers for both the panel and the frame. So perhaps it has been solved on newer models.

Anyone with a MY14 or MY15 who can take some pictures of the underneith of the front panel edges?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts