SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 294 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone else has had a leaking sunroof? Mine leaked on the rear passenger side, full dripping. The dealer ( Parkway Volvo in Wilmington NC) will have had it one day shy of two weeks to remove the cartridge, replace the sunshade and clean and reinstall the headliner. They have been fabulous as always and I do have a new XC 60 to drive so I am not upset, just wondering if this a fluke or a design flaw in them.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Wow, so many issues...
Looset, do you care to quantify the number of separate issues since "many" is inherently vague and ambiguous? It is the first hat I heard of a sunroof leak issue which is significant and needs to be fixed.

On a larger scale, though, if your intent is improve the Volvo production process, maybe you would want to start a separate thread. I know that Citivas already started a nice thread on missing features. Another poster started a thread on future features.

Better yet, let me start one behalf of you, me and others who want to improve the production process, to enhance our value, satisfaction and investment in Volvo cars worldwide and the success of Volvo and its employees.

Here is what I recall which is so far about seven production issues for the all new XC90 (updated):

Removed list as it is being updated in a separate thread at:
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...Known-Production-Issues&p=2691465#post2691465.

Most of the other reported issues relate to customer prefrerence settings and features - some of which were expected starting with the FE and the others are purported to be part of the November update.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I have yet to see one of these in the wild in my area and came on here to do some more research while I await the arrival mine. It is concerning to see someone state there are many issues but after quickly browsing through a few pages and scouring the web it does not seem to be anymore or less than most new vehicle teething pains.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
I have yet to see one of these in the wild in my area and came on here to do some more research while I await the arrival mine. It is concerning to see someone state there are many issues but after quickly browsing through a few pages and scouring the web it does not seem to be anymore or less than most new vehicle teething pains.
Yes, I agree - new vehicle teething pains. Granted, I have not received my XC90 but I expect to in December. I think most of us are realistic and expect quality. That does not translate to absolute perfection and zero defects.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Also - you have to remember that, for the most part, people are far more likely to post to a forum if they have a problem or even a question that might have negative implications. It is a mostly-self-selecting population - a few "fan-boys and fan-girls" and lots of complaints. Never use an on-line forum as a statistical model for adverse events - for a car, for home theatre equipment, for a computer - whatever. Just don't.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Agreed. I have been on many other forums like this with our previous vehicles and other tech forums and most of the time people come on with questions or when they have issues. There are a few who that may post positive things but mostly it is people looking for answers to problems. This is a new car from the ground up with lot of new tech. I am an early adopter to many of the new tech that comes out and as such you will have to deal with early growing pains. I would not base your decision on what is being discussed in the forums. Yes, sometimes there is a lemon in the bunch but that is more of an exception than the norm.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Also - you have to remember that, for the most part, people are far more likely to post to a forum if they have a problem or even a question that might have negative implications. It is a mostly-self-selecting population - a few "fan-boys and fan-girls" and lots of complaints. Never use an on-line forum as a statistical model for adverse events - for a car, for home theatre equipment, for a computer - whatever. Just don't.
i agree 100%... you never see threads on the car working as designed.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, I agree - new vehicle teething pains. Granted, I have not received my XC90 but I expect to in December. I think most of us are realistic to expect quality - but that does not translate tono absolute perfection and zero defects.
You'll love the vehicle. To those posters who say there are "many" issues, go browse other makes and models forums - they are not without issue! I absolutely would buy this vehicle again. I've driven Toyotas most of my life, then Volvo,Mercedes Benz, 3 BMW and back to Volvo. BMW makes a great vehicle if you keep low miles, it is a train wreck for those of us who drive 30,000 miles a year.

We are all here to investigate, whether it be an issue we are experiencing with our XC90 or because we are considering purchasing one. To those of you on the fence, jump toward the vehicle. No vehicle is perfect, the issues are small for the most part. My sunroof leak is fixed. Things happen! I'm just happy it wasn't a big problem. I'm grateful to my wonderful service team at Parkway Volvo and I got to drive a cool XC60

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
You'll love the vehicle. To those posters who say there are "many" issues, go browse other makes and models forums - they are not without issue! I absolutely would buy this vehicle again. I've driven Toyotas most of my life, then Volvo,Mercedes Benz, 3 BMW and back to Volvo. BMW makes a great vehicle if you keep low miles, it is a train wreck for those of us who drive 30,000 miles a year.

We are all here to investigate, whether it be an issue we are experiencing with our XC90 or because we are considering purchasing one. To those of you on the fence, jump toward the vehicle. No vehicle is perfect, the issues are small for the most part. My sunroof leak is fixed. Things happen! I'm just happy it wasn't a big problem. I'm grateful to my wonderful service team at Parkway Volvo and I got to drive a cool XC60
+1 Glad to hear that your issue was quickly resolved. I updated the separate thread on MY16 production issues.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
you people drive your cars in the rain? You all need serious help.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have seen this with other vehicles with panoramic sunroofs. More often it has been the seal around the roof that has been the issue. If it is not installed properly or was a bad seal, then you will get water inside the vehicle.

·
Banned
763 Posts
The new XC90 is starting to bear an eerie resemblance to the old one.

Sunroof leak. Sloshing. Bummer.

Pull the passenger side carpet up and get the water out from underneath as soon as you possible can and let it dry fully. If you're super lucky, there's no real damage to anything electrical. Do a search on the internet for Volvo XC90 sunroof leaks, might be some good hints as the best way to do this as well as how to repair the drains so it does not occur again. Can also do some poking around, many others have had this issue before and there may still be a residual class action lawsuit still out there to leverage in the event it gets bad.

But first thing, get the carpet up, get the water out, get it dried out, fix the drain (or hose or elbow or whatever it is that's broken) and hope for the best.

Some links to get you started in the meantime:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IoRxXm9tR0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQpQRAd7uLU
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ak-alarm-radio-sunroof-related-any-suggestion

Someone else can comment about the ticking. I might have a look at the axle and CV joints as a start.

·
Registered
215 Posts
^^^
because of one person reporting a sunroof leak? Really? Read through the entire thread. That would be...one.

1 - 20 of 294 Posts