SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago, my sunroof stuck in the vent position. I looked it up on the forum, and decided that my alarm module was bad. I never got the alarm service message, and the sunroof "healed" and closed properly. I changed out the siren module anyway. Everything has been fine for a month.

I left my car parked for about 8 days, and when I came back it started normally.

When I was driving home, over the first few minutes, the driver's side map light would randomly go on and off. All three buttons on the dome lights would turn on the 2 dome lights and did not affect the map light (the 2 side buttons both did what the middle button does normally).

Again I suspected the alarm module, but after the car sat for 2 hours at home, the map light went out and everything seemed normal.

10 minutes into the next drive, the sunroof randomly opened to the silent position and would not close. A couple minutes later, it opened all the way. A few times before I got home, I would hear a single loud clack from the motor; it was trying to open the sunroof further.

I played with the button a lot, and tried to get it to close. Once when I pushed it open, the motor made a series of clacking noises as it tried to open the already open sunroof. Now the car is doing that frequently; sometimes as soon as insert the key, sometimes as I am driving along, the sunroof decides it wants to open further.

I tested the new alarm module by setting it off, and it worked fine. I reinstalled the old module, and it did not sound the siren. The odd behavior of the sunroof is the same with both sirens.

Please tell me I don't need some absurdly expensive module replaced! Anyone know what is going on? I cleared codes, did the lock unlock thing, and did a hard reset (batt cables touched), to no avail.

·
Registered
557 Posts
UEM (Upper Electronic Module) is toast?

Assuming your battery is in good shape.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Check the sunroof drains and make sure they aren't clogged it can cause water to leak in in that area

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Your UEM is your rear-view mirror. There's a circuit board double stick taped to the back of the glass. It sounds to me like there is a short/faulty switch in the panel that's attached to your headliner. This should be interchangeable with a used part as I believe only the UEM (mirror housing) is VIN coded to the car. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The UEM is a black module under the roof console attached to the sunroof motor. I replaced my siren module a month ago, my battery a week ago, and changed out the UEM last night. I had the dealer program it today for the absurd price of $170.

The problem is not fixed. I talked to the mechanic, and he was fairly baffled. The motor keeps tying to open the sunroof, so he suggested the switch. It is a pretty simple system, only the switch and the motor remain (and the motor is 2 simple wires, that could not be the issue).

Anyone have any insight beyond "replace the switch"?

Interestingly, I need to check my sunroof drains, the UEM poured out whiteish water when I removed it.

In the mean time, I took down the sunroof motor and manually moved the sunroof shut, then replaced the motor, then pulled the fuse. At least I can drive the car now.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
sounds like the switch welded when the UEM fried switch would be the next link in the chain

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Replacing the switch/circuitboard assembly under the roof console fixed it. $500 later.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
No offense, but this is a poster case for why the sunroof drains need to be serviced from time to time, especially in cars that get left outside (even occasionally).

Sorry for your bad luck with it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts