SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread will show your how to access the 4 torx screws that adjust the sunroof.

Step 1. Raise the roof!

Step 2. Locate the accordion type privacy valences. These attach horizontally at the top via 3 clips against the glass. The lower section lays vertically in a track.

Step 3. Gently pull towards you the top piece from the clips starting at the rear most clip working your way down to the narrow opening.

Step 4. Gently pull the lower section vertically out of its track.

Step 5. Carefully remove the accordion section and place somewhere safe.

REPEAT FOR OTHER SIDE

Step 6. Use a torx #25 to adjust the now visible 4 torx screws.

Step 7. Adjust the sunroof. This may involve closing and reopening the sunroof to visually inspect how it lays in relationship to the vehicles roof.

Step 8. Replace the accordion piece from outside of the vehicle (make sure you are using the correct one) I found it was easiest to insert the lower vertical section into its track by reaching inside (like your doing a chin up) and gently press the section down working your way from the rear to the front.

Step 9. Replace the horizontal section behind the tabs by gently pushing the accordion piece into place behind the 3 tabs.

Step 10. Crack a beer.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Re: Sunroof adjustment (cucharon)

I have a terrible sunroof rattle, that seemes to go away if I tilt the sunroof up, I had read in other threads that the bolts loosen up and cause this issue. Would these be the bolts I need to tighten? If so, I can't thank you enough for the write-up. I asked in a post A LONG time ago how to tighten the bolts and never got an aswer. Thanks again for the time it took to take the photos and write it up.

Adam

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
Re: Sunroof adjustment (Adam12)

Quote, originally posted by Adam12 »
I have a terrible sunroof rattle, that seemes to go away if I tilt the sunroof up.
Your rattle is from the pop-up wind deflector at the front of the sunroof. It's spring loaded and it's rattling against the rain gutter (underside). Tilting the sunroof pushes the deflector down just enough to kill the rattle.

To cure the problem slide the sunroof back so the pop-up deflector goes up and stick half a dozen little round felt pieces under the deflector. This will stop the rattle, those little precut round pieces are smaller than a dime, usually black, just a couple bucks at any hardware store. It's a 2 minute fix that works very well.

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts

Quote, originally posted by cucharon »
This thread will show your how to access the 4 torx screws that adjust the sunroof.
I commend you for a fantastic job at documenting this process. I don't need the adjustment but this how-to should get added to the FAQ so it never gets lost!! http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: Sunroof adjustment (-Pascal)

Quote, originally posted by -Pascal »

I commend you for a fantastic job at documenting this process. I don't need the adjustment but this how-to should get added to the FAQ so it never gets lost!! http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

I was planning on it before I read this!

Stickied it is. Great write up sir!!! http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
This is indeed excellent. I was noticing my sunroof sits somewhat wonky relative to the car's roof and it definitely needs to be adjusted.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts

Ahh, finally. I thought it was the glass that was making that rattle. Awesome writeup. Practical stuff is always much appreciated.

·
Registered
254 Posts

I read a similar write-up about a year ago that I followed to cure a terrible rattle in my S40. Worked like a charm. Glad to know the procedure is pretty much the same for the R. Thanks for the post!

Quote, originally posted by -Pascal »

Your rattle is from the pop-up wind deflector at the front of the sunroof. It's spring loaded and it's rattling against the rain gutter (underside). Tilting the sunroof pushes the deflector down just enough to kill the rattle.

I'm pretty sure 04 Rs don't have the pop-up wind deflector (mine does not)... wasn't it added in 05 and then taken out again after?

Quote, originally posted by Slvr S60R »
Ahh, finally. I thought it was the glass that was making that rattle. Awesome writeup. Practical stuff is always much appreciated.

Assuming you have no pop-up wind deflector, check those fasteners--they are a likely source for your rattle.

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
Re: Sunroof adjustment (240S40)

Quote, originally posted by 240S40 »
I'm pretty sure 04 Rs don't have the pop-up wind deflector (mine does not)... wasn't it added in 05 and then taken out again after?
I wouldn't know about the 04 though, you may be correct although I've never owned a car without a pop-up deflector of some sort... That would be weird.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts

Thank you very much for this writeup

I have the same question as Adam12, are these the 'rattle' screws? adjustment screws? are they the same?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Re: Sunroof adjustment (FEO)

Quote, originally posted by FEO »
Thank you very much for this writeup

I have the same question as Adam12, are these the 'rattle' screws? adjustment screws? are they the same?

These screws along the side of the glass are the equivalent of what was rattling in my S40.

·
Registered
788 Posts

Excellent write up my fellow Coloradoan! http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Re: Sunroof adjustment (art_werks)

As an addition to this great thread, can anyone tell me where to find the sunroof drain holes on the passenger side? My FR carpet is wet and I'm pretty sure the AC line is connected properly (the big black hose, right?). We just got a huge downpour here and that's when I noticed the water.

There is an awesome thread about this for the XC but I pulled off the trim and didn't find the same 90* exit tube. As far as I can tell, the rubber hose just goes down into the dash, somewhere.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank for this thread, my roof was sitting low in the opening and it fixed that part, but my sunroof only opens about 1/3-1/2 of what it did originally which is why I tried to adjust it in the first place. Any ideas out there as to why my sunroof doesn't lift up fully? Every other adjustment works fine. Could it possibly the switch itself?

2006 V70R, plain ol' boring and stock
Black Sapphire/Nordkapp

·
Registered
118 Posts
So I followed these instructions and successfully adjusted my sunroof. However, I was overzealous with my screwdriver and stripped the hole for the driver's side rear torx screw. Now I'm gonna be out $150 for the replacement rail plus who knows how much in labor. Damn I'm good.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Does anyone have the AllData or other drawing of the exact adjustment goal?
I saw one once but no longer have it.
It showed the vertical relationship between the glass and the roof when the sunroof is closed.

I had mine adjusted by a independent shop and it was a 5 minute deal.
No charge.
But it is still not perfect and I don't know if I should raise or lower the glass.

Thanks in advance.
S'V'13

·
4,002 Posts
Post date?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey WelfarePilot...

Thank for this thread, my roof was sitting low in the opening and it fixed that part, but my sunroof only opens about 1/3-1/2 of what it did originally which is why I tried to adjust it in the first place. Any ideas out there as to why my sunroof doesn't lift up fully? Every other adjustment works fine. Could it possibly the switch itself?

2006 V70R, plain ol' boring and stock
Black Sapphire/Nordkapp
Did you ever find a fix for this? Mine is doing the exact same thing, and you're the only one I've found that has/had the same problem. Let me know, thanks!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Great write up and photos. I will keep this handy, the XC90 has a little wind noise coming from the sunroof. I will use this as a reference once I have some down time.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts