SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Decided I wanted something to hold my sunglasses in my 2019 XC60 since Volvo doesn’t include this in the vehicle. Found the part number elsewhere on swedespeed and decided to go for it. Here are some pics of the installation process and what you can expect.

Overall, they look nice although the functionality isn’t quite what I hoped as it only really works well with 2 of my 4 sunglasses.

Here it is installed with sunglasses inside that fit

Here are the tools I used: (I don’t know the technical names)
- two plastic trim removal pry bars
- 90 degree pick
- book light (clipper to visor to help line up bolts)
- 9/32 nut driver (7mm also works)

The clip light was perhaps the most important tool as it enabled me to see the screw holes and line things up. The first side took 30minutes including picture taking and an overly cautious approach. Second side took about five minutes.

Clip the light to the sun visor and use the 90 degree tool to pop open the cover for the handle bolts.

Unscrew both bolts. I started with a small ratchet with extension and 7mm socket. This works but the straight handled but driver was much faster, especially for putting things back together.

Once the bolts are out, use the pry tools in the front and back to pop out the handle. Do not pry from the sides as this is where the clips are behind the upholstery and you’ll just be fighting yourself.

Once the handle is off, it is to install the holders. Start by bending the tabs out a little. As you push the new tabs through the hole, you will want them to fold outward so the initial fold helps this.

My advice here is to start with the non-spring loaded side. The plastic tabs may want to push inward but used the 90 degree tool to push them the right way. It is helpful to put in one side of the tab and then push and used the tool to get the other one under the headliner. Once they are under, use one of the screws and your nut driver to get the bolt started but don’t tighten all the way. This will hold the one side in place while you work on the other side.

Once both bolts are started, I made sure they were not cross threaded and then tightened them up. The sunglasses holder does not sit as flush as the handle, presumably to create depth for the sunglasses.

So a word of warning about sunglasses size. If your sunglasses fold relatively flat, they’ll probably fit. If the bow out when folded, you’ll still be able to fit them but the holder isn’t going to close all the way.

Here are my big sunglasses face down

Here they are facing me

Overall, I’d buy them again. Part number for blond interior is 1281823. Best price I found shipped was from Volvo in Gilbert, AZ

https://parts.volvocarsgilbert.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
658 Posts
Excellent tutorial. I installed one of these a couple of weeks ago and your description is spot on.
That's also a nice price. I paid MSRP at my local dealer.

·
Registered
411 Posts
that part # states its not for a XC60?? Great write up...ty

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that part # states its not for a XC60?? Great write up...ty
I read the same thing elsewhere and this is what my dealer said too. Interestingly though, if you search for xc60 accessories, Volvo has this page which shows the sunglasses holder and part numbers

https://accessories.volvocars.com/en-us/XC60(18-)/Accessories/Sections/comfort/2019

Went in just fine on both sides. The part seems universal to many other models so perhaps it is just standard spacing for all handles.

By the way, here is a side by side pic of the sunglasses. The ones on the left fit no problem. The ones on the right fit but the holder won’t close all the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Nice job with the documentation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank You!

Just received mine. Now I realize that even with your great instructions that i'm going to have to set aside a nice little chunk of time to complete this project. Thanks for the heads up as you're saving me quite a bit a time and effort!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey, no problem, glad to help. Hopefully your install goes easy for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts