SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Summer/Winter Wheel Size

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  tomi22 
#1 ·
I've ordered a V50 2.0 with 17" x7" Zauraks and it will arrive in mid-October.

I'm in Europe and will need to change to winter wheels -- which I have not bought yet. I'd like some advice.

I'm planning to buy an extra set of alloy rims (probably aftermarket) -- Should I stick with 17" x 7" for winter or would it be better to have 16" x 7" ? Should the season have any role in the size decision or is it just about the style of ride I want (and cost for larger rims/tires)?

#2 ·
Re: Summer/Winter Wheel Size (brewsta)

Congrats on your new ride. I'm assuming it's a 2.0 D , Sweet. torque of a T5 but 50% better mileage (wish I had one) , nice . as far as winter wheels are concerned you can go with 17 x 7 w/ 225 45 17, or 205 50 17 (probably better winter choice would be the 205s) or 16 x 6,5- 7 w/ 205 55 16. Tirerack has explained to me that it's beneficial to have a narrower tire with snow so it slices better. For europe I'd go with 17 x 7 w/ a nice set of 205 50 17s. 16's would be better for New Jersey.

#3 ·
Re: Summer/Winter Wheel Size (V50_T5)

Thanks for the great advice -- especially on tire size for the different sized rims.

Yes, it will be a 2.0D -- test drove one and loved mix of power and economy. I tried the Skoda Octavia 2.0 TDI and thought the Volvo motor better, especially regarding turbo lag.

Very excited, though reading about the quality complaints makes me nervous. I know a discussion board is not representative of everyone's experience, but seems like a lot of issues.

Hoping that my 2007 build will have lots of stuff ironed out -- especially since the factory workers just got back from a nice long summer vacation!

#4 ·
I think the 06 model had already ironed out a lot of software type issues so hopefully the 07 will be even better.

#5 ·
I would go with the 205/16s which will fit. (as fitted to the S model)

Winter wheels presumably more for the snow etc are those that you don't need bother about keeping clean etc hence my suggestion but key point is that smaller tyres are narrower and can cut through the snow and get better traction.

Look at rally cars - sweden snow = really high profile and narrow - corsica - tarmac sun = low prof and really wide.

Used to do this on my Golf tdi 17s in summer and 15s winter

HTH

#6 ·

Hi,

Becouse of the fact that I drive thru Czech Rep frequently (both summer and winter), I STRONGLY advise you to switch to 16s'. I know what I am takling about, and you problbaly too. Since last bitter cold winter, most of the roads are in terrible condition. This year I was almost crying when I had to drive my beauty thru those giant holes!

Summer 17's are ok, but for winter not!

#8 ·
Thanks -- feels like a consensus has developed. 16s for winter sound like a good idea.

Can hardly wait for the new car -- the roads aren't just uneven here. The drivers are extremely poor. There are major accidents on a regular basis on the Prague - Brno highway.

As a matter of fact, on our way to Brno Saturday, a car in the oncoming lane spun out, hit the center divider, and sprayed our windshield with shattered glass. A real heart stopper. Since we are now in a 1996 Skoda Felicia with no airbags, the V50 can't come soon enough.

#10 ·

BTW - what is the problem with drivers on Praha-Brno road? Why there are so many accidents there? I drive there frequently and all the time I see them. On the other hand, too many people drive "on the bumper" at 160km/h+. Maybe this is the problem?

Perhaps you know, then the "ring" around Praha will be finished? I am talking about the southeren part of it (Jesenice region).

Thanks

#11 ·
Things have actually improved since the new traffic laws went into effect in July. There is now a point system and drivers realize they can actually lose their license. People are actually observing speed limits (most of the time). Shocking. Statistics show deaths down dramatically in the first two months.

The problems on that road are generally because: There are a lot of poor drivers, lots of truck traffic, narrow lanes, there are still a lot of low quality, old generation Skoda's and such on the road, there is always construction with sharp diversions, the road is often two lanes, then widens to three and then narrows back to two with little warning. I could go on.

#12 ·

Thanks for explanation. What about the "ring" of Praha?

Ps
Czech roads are not that bad - trust me. Things get worse "north of the border"
Thats why I prefer to pay 10Euro per trip, just to "make it" to the destination.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.