SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

I've been lurking here on the forum for awhile (it's actually how I found Bob @ Univ. Volvo in Charlotte to place my order this spring; Hi Bob!).

My husband and I are leaving in 2 weeks (can't believe it's that close) and we're still ironing out the details. We were married last year on July 1st and are using this trip as our 'honeymoon' (plus picking up a brand new xc60, my first new car and first volvo).

My husband is not what one would call a "planner," but I cannot bare not at least having an idea of where we'll be heading... so below is what we have now:

June 23rd: Arrive Stolkholm (see city for a couple days/get over jet lag); possibly visit Skansen for midsummer...
June 25th: Train from Stolkholm to Gothenburg
June 26th: VOLVO pickup

June 26th-June 28th: West Sweden / South Sweden somewhere... (Looking for B&B? / hiking, swimming, kayaking, cycling -- any of the above would be great options)

June 28th/June 29th: Travel towards Belgium (via Germany or Germany & Netherlands / Ferry?) for visits to local breweries across the county

July 1-4: Apartment in Brussels (visiting Cantillon brewery)

July 4: Drop off car in Brussels & train to Paris

July 4-7: Apartment Paris [then home via Copenhagen on SAS].

All tips, suggestions, and ideas are welcome... Plus, the husband is vegan, so if anyone has an idea of vegetarian restaurants or food options in any of these regions, that would be helpful as well.

Thanks!

-Kristin

·
Registered
347 Posts
Congratulations on your honeymoon tour Kristen. A new XC60 is an excellent choice. June 26th is the same day my wife and I will be picking up our red S80 and there is another couple picking up their red S60 T5 that morning who have also posted on this forum.

This web link lists four vegetarian restaurants in Gothenburg> http://www.goteborg.com/en/eat/s/RestaurantGuide?searchCategory=1154

We decided just last week to bring an iPad to help us find those vegetarian or hidden gem restaurants in each place we are staying.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hello folks - looks like this is the June 26th thread. My wife and I are the "other" couple picking up our Volvo on the 26th. We too are arriving in Stockholm on the 23rd and taking the train to Gothenburg on the 25th. Our plans differ from yours after that, but we pick up benbow's trip plans after that. Should be a lot of fun. See you all in two weeks!!!!

West Sweden tip - Havshotellet Lysekil -Turistgatan 13., 45333, Lysekil, Sweden, Phone : +46 523 79750 - This is one of the places we are staying toward the end of our trip.

·
Premium Member
12,052 Posts
Lysekil is beautiful!!!! And a very nice drive from Gothenburg.

Kristin...driving south from Gothenburg along the coast, there are some quaint little towns and a few bigger towns. The area from Halmstad to Helsingborg is nice and maybe a 2-3 hr leisurely drive. Malmo is Sweden's 3rd largest city and a happenin place. http://www.malmotown.com/en
If you take the ferry, that will account for 1 night http://www.stenaline.nl/en/ferry/crossing/kiel-gothenburg/
This might help to find some ;local stuff to do if you do take the ferry http://www.visitsweden.com/sweden/R...Nature-in-Gothenburg/West-Coast-Archipelago1/

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
We had 21 days, 3000 miles, 6 countries OSD S60T5 in April. We had 3 nights up front and 1 night before returning in Gothenburg. We did everything else day-by-day. Once we called the hotel for availability, the others we reserved online -- often at a McD's for their Wifi (certainly not for the food).

We had a list of things to see that would be long for a 6-month trip and knew it. We dropped most of the list along the way and added other things/places.

You may want to check out Ystad and Ale's Stones (think "mini-stonehenge").

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tips and ideas (that link to vegetarian restaurants will come in handy)... I'm thinking we might leave those couple days in west sweden open and play it by ear once we're there, this has given me a number of ideas.

I'm pretty sure that we'll be bringing an iPad (wifi coverage only) as I'm not lugging my laptop all over Europe. It seems like wireless internet might be pretty easy to come by... I also have an iPhone w/AT&T, anyone know how coverage is? Has anyone added the AT&T global add-on packages (data/calling/etc)? Are they worth it?

·
Premium Member
12,052 Posts
I would just use the Ipad and Skype. The ATT app has a nominal monthly charge...but they nail you on the international calls...even for checking your voice mails.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
GSM coverage is very good. I have a Java/OS based phone (not officially a smart phone but can run certain apps) and pretty much had full service everywhere in Europe. Of course, it won't be AT&T but someone with a roaming agreement *with* AT&T. Data is very expensive. We did not buy any plan with AT&T -- we planned on only low/emergency usage anyway.

Every McD's has Wifi and they are just about *everywhere*. Starbucks are fairly common too.

Call AT&T; no matter what you'll need to let them know you'll be using the phone in Europe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts