SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So it's been real warm around here lately.

Of course the r has been massively heat soaked, and down on power. I noticed recently that the car sounded like there was some knock. I was sure not as my only mod is k&n filter with no air box, I've had mine off and tinkering with it.

Sure enough this morning I had some xylene sitting around so I mixed some home brew race gas. After letting the gas in the tank mix and giving it time to make it through the fuel system I did some testing. 100 percent of the sound I thought was knock went away and the car is much faster.

This probably has to do with the **** 91 octane we are given here, mixed with the fact that the ecu is adding extra boost trying to compensate for our terrible air up here, with our corrected altitude most days being the worst track in the us.

Don't let the summer heat cost you a motor, keep your ears peeled for knock. :)

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
*sigh* ...............................dude, stop screwing around, if you want performance get an FMIC & then if you are still left wanting , get water / meth injection & your worries will be gone

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where are you, exactly?
Northern Utah. We are at about 4400 asl at the track here but our adjusted altitude is even higher.

Jstro, I would love a front mount. It's not a money issue, it's a time and dealing with my bad back issue.

I am so OCD about my mods that installing a fmic would be days with the car apart and tinkering.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I noticed even here in Seattle on a 70 ish degree day after just a few WOT sprints the thing is heat soaked and pulling power. A couple days ago I filled up with the ussual Chevron 93 or at least I think its 93... what ever super is here and I went to the local parts store for some sea foam. It was on sale so I grabbed 2 of them. I also notices they had thier store brand octane boosters on sale for 2.99 each. I got 2 of them. I put both cans of seafoam and both octane booster in and it has made a huge improvment. Not only in power but MPG.

I am going to get the newer AEM water/meth kit. I don't feel like ripping the front off the car to do a fmic. Besides I only saw marginal gains with 2 of my last cars that got the fmic. I think the water/meth kit provides better cooling and power. I don't mind refilling the res. Just my opinion of course.

I may go back and see if I can buy a few cases of the octane booster from the local store. More for saftey than anything. Certainly not for the added power.....:)

Anyone going with 1 step colder plugs?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts