SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed that a few of my tires are getting down to the warning bumps in the tread, so was going to see about getting new ones prior to my 30 K mile service (last free one). Live in the Denver area, but, not going to get "winter" tires, looking for a good all-season, probably a Michelin one. I was going to decide on a tire, then see if the Volvo dealership (Rickenbaugh) will honor the price and install them at the service (I read in the Forums that they do a better job on balancing).

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I was very happy with my OEM Michelins. They were Primacy MXM4. Good traction, quiet and they gave me 50k miles. I just replaced them with Michelin Premier A/S. They have a longer tread life and are suppose to have better wet pavement stopping ability even when worn. So far I'm happy with them. I think they might even be quieter than Primacy's.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
We have the Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus as a replacement for the stock Conti's and love them. They are great in the snow and the rain.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I just installed Hankook Ventus S1 Nobel. They did well in Tirerack test and have a $60 mail in rebate. Ride quality and performance are very good.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I really like my Michelen Pilot Sport A/S 3. They are performance oriented. Ride
quality is similar to OEMs but I don't think the tread life will be as good. No snow
where I live so I'm not sure about snow performance (but they are all-season).

·
Registered
426 Posts
I wasn't happy with my OEM Michelin Primacy MXM4 in the winter. Hence my decision to get a winter setup (new wheels with winter tires). They were great in dry condition, but I remember clearly 2 times the car drifting on wet asphalt with some tree leafs on it while making a somewhat sharp turm at about 35 mph. In the winter at around 35Kmi on the OEMs, I ended up more than 3 times in the middle of the intersection due to inability to stop. Once I ended up in a snow bank crashing a some sort of electrical box at around 10 mph because the car simply refused to turn. lol Note, I never had any of these problems with my 2002 S40, and I always had the OEM tires.

My opinion is that Michelin Primacy MXM4 are NOT good for the winter.
n

·
Registered
289 Posts
We have the Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus as a replacement for the stock Conti's and love them. They are great in the snow and the rain.
I also have the Cinturato P7 Plus for my summer tires. Very quiet, great dry and wet grip. However, I think they're downright scary in the snow. Last fall, I had to drive from Chicago to just south of Green Bay in about 1" of snow. The tires were VERY squirrely (if that's even a word!) and I could feel slippage even when driving straight. It took me 5.5 hours to drive for what should have been a 2 hour 45 minute trip.

Keep in mind I have FWD, not AWD...

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Even if you won't buy them from TireRack, I strongly suggest using TireRack to research tires.

Are you looking for any changes in how the tire performs? What tire are you using now?

·
Registered
534 Posts
I'm running cooper zpt zeon tires,love them,are asymetrics with a variety of tread, I can corner better than anything I've run..what size rim do you have?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
You won't like the A/S 3 in snow.

I really like my Michelen Pilot Sport A/S 3. They are performance oriented. Ride
quality is similar to OEMs but I don't think the tread life will be as good. No snow
where I live so I'm not sure about snow performance (but they are all-season).
I drove on lite Chicago snow in a AWD '13 S60 exactly once and promptly ordered winter wheels and tires. Great 3 season tires, but not a reasonable choice if I had only one set of tires.

Good luck.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
I also have the Cinturato P7 Plus for my summer tires. Very quiet, great dry and wet grip. However, I think they're downright scary in the snow. Last fall, I had to drive from Chicago to just south of Green Bay in about 1" of snow. The tires were VERY squirrely (if that's even a word!) and I could feel slippage even when driving straight. It took me 5.5 hours to drive for what should have been a 2 hour 45 minute trip.

Keep in mind I have FWD, not AWD...
OK, so I'm confused.. One guy says these tires are great in the snow and you say they are not. Every comment I've read online from various sites say that these are great all around tires, even in most winter conditions. You say they are scary in 1" of snow. Are you sure you have the "Plus" tires or the original (non-plus)? I have the non-plus tires on my V60, and they are not that bad in snow, especially in only 1". Yes, my car is AWD, but that would not fix scary and squirrely. Tire Rack rates them almost as high as dedicated winter tires on snow and ice.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
OK, so I'm confused.. One guy says these tires are great in the snow and you say they are not. Every comment I've read online from various sites say that these are great all around tires, even in most winter conditions. You say they are scary in 1" of snow. Are you sure you have the "Plus" tires or the original (non-plus)? I have the non-plus tires on my V60, and they are not that bad in snow, especially in only 1". Yes, my car is AWD, but that would not fix scary and squirrely. Tire Rack rates them almost as high as dedicated winter tires on snow and ice.
+1 I was going to ask the same question of whether djstorm has the Plus or non Plus tires? I've heard nothing but great things about the newer Plus tires from several people after driving in winter weather conditions; these are supposed to be even better than the Continental DWS/DWS 06 tires which were fantastic tires. I've never had any issues with the non Plus tires on my V60RD when it comes to dealing with snow (even in several inches); now ice is a different story.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
+1 I was going to ask the same question of whether djstorm has the Plus or non Plus tires? I've heard nothing but great things about the newer Plus tires from several people after driving in winter weather conditions; these are supposed to be even better than the Continental DWS/DWS 06 tires which were fantastic tires. I've never had any issues with the non Plus tires on my V60RD when it comes to dealing with snow (even in several inches); now ice is a different story.
Yep, I'm ready to pull the trigger on a set of the Plus (in 245/40-19), thinking I can manage with these year-round rather than buy a set of dedicated winters. The one thing is, the price for this tire in that size is around $220 each, so I could almost by a set of cheap 18" wheels and the smaller tire for winter duty for that price...

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've got the Cinturato P7 (not plus) on my car now - they're not my favorite tire.

I'm buying Blizzaks for the winter so the P7's are coming off of the car in a couple of months.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
He has FWD. I had a set of highly rated Blizzaks on my FWD Traverse and they were just as bad as my all-seasons. At some point putting 250 HP (or 285 in my Traverse) through the front wheels will create a squirrely feeling, regardless of tires.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'm thinking if I were in your situation -- living in a snowy climate (average of 55 inches/year in Denver) but not wanting dedicated winter tires -- I would want all seasons with the best snow traction available. That would most likely be the Nokian WR G3. Spendy, but it has a 55k treadwear warranty (as opposed to none for most winter tires) and still has good snow and ice traction.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I just put a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE970 AS Pole Position on mine. They are not that good for snow, but it's not really a concern for me. Generally pretty happy with them, nice handling and traction, ride is good (not great), noise is not excessive, no squealing in turns, 50K thread warranty. Nice thread design. I did notice that fuel economy took a small hit (~1mpg), probably because my Conti OEM's were smaller and lighter (went from 235/40-18 to 235/45-18), but I think Bridgestones come in OEM size also.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Bridgestone RE 760's for me. Got them from Costco. So far would recommend them to anyone.

As for snow, have winters as I would not run All Seasons because we get winter and my driveway is a road up a mountain.

·
Registered
289 Posts
He has FWD. I had a set of highly rated Blizzaks on my FWD Traverse and they were just as bad as my all-seasons. At some point putting 250 HP (or 285 in my Traverse) through the front wheels will create a squirrely feeling, regardless of tires.
Exactly. I confirmed I have the P7 Plus tires. But again, the 'squirrely' feeling may be somewhat due to having only FWD for the all-season tires vs. AWD for the all-season tires. It might also have been the particular conditions that night as well. As always, YMMV! :)

Bottom Line (for me): I wouldn't trust the P7s in the snow for my driving, area, and my S60. I switch over to Nokian Hakka R2s in November.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
OK, so I'm confused.. One guy says these tires are great in the snow and you say they are not.
A lot of things affect drivability during a snow storm - temperature of the road before snow started to fall, temperature changes as snowfall began, how quickly snow began to stick and how much melted underneath, the consistency of each layer down to the road, how much the road has been driven on since it started snowing, how well it was prepped, how well it's been maintained...

In the right inch of snow, you can get by perfectly fine with nearly bald max performance summer tires, whereas the wrong 1/8" of snow can be tough to drive in with most All Seasons.

Anecdotal experiences in winter weather truly have no value.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts