SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last time a bulb burned out I made the lazy mistake of taking it to the dealer. They charged me $30 for one crappy yellow bulb so this time I'd prefer to replace both bulbs for something brighter/whiter and hopefully longer lasting. Any suggestions? I don't need anything fancy but I am pretty overwhelmed by the hundreds of choices on Amazon.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Do you just want the bulbs replaced or the whole headlight? I did a TRS retrofit on my 02 S60. Installed some projectors lenses and Bi Xenon 5000k HID's. Its freaking bright now.

·
Registered
171 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Looks like you went with clear glass lenses too - looks great.
Yes! I ordered it from EST. I am still debating if i should paint the original housing black, since the projector is not using them as the reflectors now.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Yes! I ordered it from EST. I am still debating if i should paint the original housing black, since the projector is not using them as the reflectors now.
Personally I wouldn't paint the LB reflector - If you do it may though off or un-balance the look of the complete assembly. You need to keep the reflectors to either side of the LB/center shinny...

Maybe you or someone can Photo Shop some images for you to get a better idea of what it could look like.

JMO, but the whole thing looks very clean the way you have it at this time.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
If the OP is looking to change out the whole headlight - unfortunately the options are not as vast for Volvos as with most other car manufactures.
Easy up grades would be to update to the 05 and up style headlights, go for some of the Bi-Xeion lights (Crazy money), or some of the few aftermarket lights out their.
2005 and up - (have plastic lenses)

Bi-Xeion

S60 R headlights

Projectors with LED strip from EST http://www.eurosporttuning.ca/mm5/m...duct_Code=VLA-160-401&Category_Code=VL-S60-ex

What else is out there as far as complete headlight options?

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
just buy a pack of osrams or phillips x-treme. you need "H7" style for your low beams.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Using HIDs on stock housing is illegal here in MD because it reflects too much light and cause blindness IMO. So i chose to go with projector lens.

Also, the EST projector kit with led strips sucks. It melts the housing in just a matter of days.

·
Registered
182 Posts
are them hids even legal

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Here in NC, I never checked into the legality of HIDs...
When I first put them in I got flashed a few times.... So I made some adjustments and haven't been flashed in months.
For stock housings the cut off is pretty good - not projector good, but not in anyones eyes apparently.
I also went with 5000K so it would be more on the side of white (which would be closer to factory) than those crazy blue and purple HIDs.
I think those would grab the attention of the law.
I really like the way they light up the road.
I would like to do a projector retro - just time and money that I don't have right now.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I would like to do a projector retro - just time and money that I don't have right now.
It actually is a lengthy process if you have never done that kind of work before. The guy i was following did it in 5 hrs for both lights. First light took me the whole day and wrapped up in next day. Money, yes it is expensive when you need to swap with clear lenses

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
It actually is a lengthy process if you have never done that kind of work before. The guy i was following did it in 5 hrs for both lights. First light took me the whole day and wrapped up in next day. Money, yes it is expensive when you need to swap with clear lenses
I have an 06 and they don't have the glass lens - and I have learned that their is no way to attach the 04 and below glass lens to the 05 and above headlight assemblies - this is a bummer - I would love to have glass - but I do not want to go to the 04 and below style headlight.
Then again on the priority list - this is pretty low at this time.

·
Registered
581 Posts
DMAC, how has your kit lasted you? I got a 35W kit from ebay and I had it removed it was so bad. Hows the flicker?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
DMAC, how has your kit lasted you? I got a 35W kit from ebay and I had it removed it was so bad. Hows the flicker?
I have had them installed for about 9 months or so... I have had no problems with my low beams at all.
No flicker, no BOW, no CEL - I turn on my lights and in about 15-20 seconds they are bright as heck.
I did have an issue with one of my fog lights pretty much out of the box - turned out to be a bad ballast and was replaced at no charge - since then I am running with no issues.
I purchased my HID's from DDM Tuning (per a few recommendations from this site)- I got the Slim 35W kit ($40.00) - So far I am very pleased.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Last time a bulb burned out I made the lazy mistake of taking it to the dealer. They charged me $30 for one crappy yellow bulb so this time I'd prefer to replace both bulbs for something brighter/whiter and hopefully longer lasting. Any suggestions? I don't need anything fancy but I am pretty overwhelmed by the hundreds of choices on Amazon.
Here is an opportunity to get a set of 05 and up style lights already wired for 01-04's - should be a plug and play thing for you.
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...-6000K-HID-and-Upgraded-Bulbs-Wired-For-01-04

1 - 18 of 18 Posts