SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello swedespeed I've got some bad news. My 2005 s40 T5 has been randomly dying on me while driving or parking or coasting. It's a very terrifying thing when your new-to-me car suddenly dies at 70 mph. then as sudden as the loss appears it goes away leaving no trace other than my racing heartbeat and utter sadness. I'm not the original owner I'm it's third. I bought the car at just over 146k miles and it's been having this problem since about 149k. All of those miles i put on the car since it's purchase on July 3rd 2015 about 3 months ago. I've replaced the turbo boost solenoid and fuel pressure sensor and I've been to a shop a few times and to a few different shops all three say it is weird but the car is not showing any issue. They checked the fuel pump, fuel filter ignition system (and switch) and before I made it 9 miles back home from the shop after "fixing" it it broke down again same issue. Fine, stalls take key out and it's back to normal. these issues have no warning but are happening more and more frequently. I need help for my baby and I'll hear anything anyone has to offer PLEASE HELP!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, no codes at all my family's mechanic says check the crank-angle sensor or whatever it's called on a volvo, but the mechanic with my car says it's suspect but not likely

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
That's possible but would probably throw a code or go into limp mode. I have heard of the wiring going to the MAF going bad (shorting open).

My suggestion would be to get a cheap $10 OBDII-Bluetooth ELM327 and the free torque app and log everything you can. Post the log here once you have the issue again. Some of us may be able to help you sift through the log and find the cause.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
1st step is to separate fuel & spark. Next time it dies jump out & press the Schroeder on the fuel rail (use a nice big rag to catch any fuel). If you get a good spray of fuel we know the issue is spark. Just a dribble, fuel issue. With those miles some brittle wiring is very possible. Try removing the engine cover & just looking at all the wiring heading to the coil packs, cam sensor, crank sensor, etc. Look for cracked insulation that may be touching metal.
Has the PEM (~4" x 4" black box) been relocated on your car? It will be under the left rear seat bottom cushion if it has.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I had a similar issue once when water got into the ECU connector in the engine bay. Caused power loss and a full discotec of lights on the dash. You may want to re seat the ECU connector a couple of times.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I had a similar issue once when water got into the ECU connector in the engine bay. Caused power loss and a full discotec of lights on the dash. You may want to re seat the ECU connector a couple of times.

I also had a similar problem when I first bought my V50, ended up being a loose negitive battery cable that was incorrectly secured, if it hit a bump the correct way, the car would shut off, and be totally dead.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
See my mechanic has already tested nearly everything listed. As well as I'm not very confident in my abilities to fix the car on my own, I'm only 19. There are no codes being thrown out. It feels as if it is secretly a manual car and I haven't learned when to downshift to avoid stalling, except my car is an automatic and I know how to drive manual.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I also had a similar problem when I first bought my V50, ended up being a loose negitive battery cable that was incorrectly secured, if it hit a bump the correct way, the car would shut off, and be totally dead.
Also it's only the engine that dies. And all i need to do is take the key out then put it right back in, and less than a minute later it's working fine... until it acts up again sometime late (normally about 40 miles and not based on time)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Having the same issue with my 2004 V70 2.5. Have appx 148,000 miles. Car randomly powers down like it is out of gas. Slip car into neutral and it restarts every time. No codes and no other issues. Keeps you on the your toes. No pattern and sporadic incidents.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Having the same issue with my 2004 V70 2.5. Have appx 148,000 miles. Car randomly powers down like it is out of gas. Slip car into neutral and it restarts every time. No codes and no other issues. Keeps you on the your toes. No pattern and sporadic incidents.
Yes that is the exact issue I've been having! I have exactly 149562 on the odometer. it is the weirdest thing because no one believes you and it'll stop every know and then. Only difference between use is, is your key totally ruined and have not alternative.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
IMO a clogged fuel filter would have consistent poor performance. I owned a shop for several years and have seen many cars with clogged fuel filters. A clogged fuel filter would probably cause a lean code. Do sure it would cause a misfire under heavy load but as soon as you let off it would be better. It would be repeatable.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Use VIDA.

Fuel pressure sensor sometimes puts out a "minor" code that does not trigger a check engine light. VIDA could pick up such minor codes.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Did you do what PCZ mentioned above? How's your PEM?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts