SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had our new-to-us 2016 XC90 T6 Inscription for a couple of weeks now. Took our first out of town trip in it this weekend (a pleasant 140mile cruise down Hwy 1 to Capitola CA). Heading home via the hills the XC90 gave me a couple of scares...

First was overtaking an RV - car was in 'Comfort Mode' and I planted the throttle to floor. As expected the transmission downshifted and revs soared... to ~6000rpm then the engine cut out for a few seconds leaving me coasting past the RV. The transmission didn't try to upshift during overtaking.

Second time was in 'Dynamic Mode' - vigorous acceleration (but not quite foot-to-the-floor) and I'd say the engine hit a little over 3000rpm before the same thing happened.

To me both of the above felt like the ignition was killed for a few seconds. OK I know someone will say 6000rpm hit the red line and tripped the rev limited... if so I know of no rev limiter that would kill the ignition for 2 or 3 seconds (it should bounce off the redline). The 2nd occurrence is more worrying as why would any engine kill power in the middle of its power band.

So, has anyone else experienced this, and if so how was it 'fixed'? I'm tempted to drop it into my Volvo dealer and ask them to pull codes to see if any 'anomaly' was recorded during the incident.

Cheers,
Colin.

·
Registered
6,913 Posts
Had our new-to-us 2016 XC90 T6 Inscription for a couple of weeks now. Took our first out of town trip in it this weekend (a pleasant 140mile cruise down Hwy 1 to Capitola CA). Heading home via the hills the XC90 gave me a couple of scares...

First was overtaking an RV - car was in 'Comfort Mode' and I planted the throttle to floor. As expected the transmission downshifted and revs soared... to ~6000rpm then the engine cut out for a few seconds leaving me coasting past the RV. The transmission didn't try to upshift during overtaking.

Second time was in 'Dynamic Mode' - vigorous acceleration (but not quite foot-to-the-floor) and I'd say the engine hit a little over 3000rpm before the same thing happened.

To me both of the above felt like the ignition was killed for a few seconds. OK I know someone will say 6000rpm hit the red line and tripped the rev limited... if so I know of no rev limiter that would kill the ignition for 2 or 3 seconds (it should bounce off the redline). The 2nd occurrence is more worrying as why would any engine kill power in the middle of its power band.

So, has anyone else experienced this, and if so how was it 'fixed'? I'm tempted to drop it into my Volvo dealer and ask them to pull codes to see if any 'anomaly' was recorded during the incident.

Cheers,
Colin.

Do you see RPM drops quickly while this happens and doesn't change if you press gas pedal? If not, maybe the engine is revving but transmission is hunting for the gear? Anyhow, bring it to dealer...

·
Registered
234 Posts
Was it accompanied by any audible ticking or pinging? Some of the earlier build Drive-Es had some pinging/loss of power issues that seem to have been remedied by re-engineered spark plugs (knock on wood anyway, the problem hasn't really resurfaced on our '16 S60 Drive-E). I assume yours would have gotten the update though if it had been serviced at a dealership. Are you running premium?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you see RPM drops quickly while this happens and doesn't change if you press gas pedal? If not, maybe the engine is revving but transmission is hunting for the gear? Anyhow, bring it to dealer...
RPMs dropped and didn't recover when pressing the gas pedal. Definitely not a transmission hunting thing. Yep, best get my dealer to have a look at it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Was it accompanied by any audible ticking or pinging? Some of the earlier build Drive-Es had some pinging/loss of power issues that seem to have been remedied by re-engineered spark plugs (knock on wood anyway, the problem hasn't really resurfaced on our '16 S60 Drive-E). I assume yours would have gotten the update though if it had been serviced at a dealership. Are you running premium?
No audible ticks/pings. It's a Volvo CPO vehicle - fully serviced including latest software updates before we picked it up. Yes only premium in the tank... although having originally lived in the UK I hardly call 91 RON a premium fuel ;)

·
Registered
7,819 Posts

Cheers,
Colin.
Transmission? Why not bring it in to the dealer, ask the tech to do a ride along, and replicate the problem. Easiest way to get things taken care of while the warranty still remains! Especially if it's the transmission.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts