SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to get my 01 ready to sell, and I wanted to pull the sub out to put in the silver wagon (swapping out the third row seat). I've got everything pulled, but was wondering about the wiring in the silver car. What all should I separate/pull from the car that originally had the sub? Or should I just bite the bullet and try to find the wiring kit someone else mentioned last week?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I can't confirm, but I'm pretty sure the sub just taps into the signal at one of the D-pillar speakers, and then filters out whst it need itself. Tried following the wires? It seems like a fairly short way.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's 9 wires coming off the harness that tie into a huge bundle of wires running along the inside of where the bumper is heading towards the fuse box. I wanted to check before I started slicing open the electrical tape that's got it bound up. If it's not too big of a deal, I'll start separating the wires...

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Never followed the wires myself but if they arr indeed bundled into the rear harness, maybe it's safe to say it's alreade prewired into most cars? I'd just leave it be, mainly because I can't seem to get the sticky stuff from the old tape off my fingers

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Remove as much of the harness as you can.
These are NEVER up for sale and it's sort of a PIA to make them up.
Try to also remove and re-use the pins going into the REM as those are different and again, almost impossible to find

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
How is the stock sub? Haven't heard one yet

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, there is A LOT of old, slimy eletrical tape. I started cutting it apart last night, but stopped to handle some other stuff. It looks like the 9 wire's off the clip branch off twice…and it looks like the four speaker wires actually head toward the front of the car. :( So, it looks like it's gonna be a pretty involved job. Oh well. At least the silver car was prewired for the 12V outlet in the back…

And Roger, I think that the stock sub is great. It doesn't take up any space—and can't be even seen (big pluses for me). The sound is great too. It definitely fills the sound out…without rattling your license plate and being "that guy." Those days are long gone for me…

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I'm that guy then . Went aftermarket for my sub. I have a 700w Kicker 12" CompR connected to a Rockford Fosgate Prime 250w amp. I need it for reasons.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, is there a way to pull wires from the back of the REM without destroying the connector on it? Like these two red power wires for the sub/amp (the ones in the middle of the pic that look pinkish)?

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Real carefully with a micro screwdriver and hope for the best
Something looks wrong back there

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll give it a shot. Fingers crossed...

Any ideas of what looks wrong?

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
if they're deutsch style there are some very tiny tabs that lock them in place.
a dental pick is the tool to use, or a fine piece of stiff wire.

Shove the pick in there, find the tab, depress it. Rock the pin to the side to keep that one depressed, then go after the one opposite. Keep constant pressure o the wire. When you find the other tab it will slide right out.
Don't use brute force.

They do make extraction tools. They're basically plastic tubes with handles to catch both tabs at the same time.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So…I…ended up just cutting the wire with the hope of being able to figure out a different way of connecting it back to the REM of the other car. :facepalm: I tried getting in there on both sides with the mini screwdrivers, asking nicely, coaxing from both the back and the fuse side, profanity…all to no avail. I got everything else out though. The grounds crimp into a wire on the passenger side running up the cable raceway to the front of the car. Both pairs of speaker wires do the same (one on each side). Andhe purple wire runs to that little sidecar that mounts to the bottom of the REM. For now, it's out so I can put the third row seat in.

Is there a replacement crimp-on end I can get for the power wires and the purple lead to reattach them to the new car??

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
I bought my last sub and harness.
Saved me time but like you he cut the damn REM wire.
Making something work took us more time to attach that one wire than twice the time it took doing everything else combined!

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I bought my last sub and harness.
Saved me time but like you he cut the damn REM wire.
Making something work took us more time to attach that one wire than twice the time it took doing everything else combined!
What did you end up doing to connect it?

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Is there a replacement crimp-on end I can get for the power wires and the purple lead to reattach them to the new car??
yes.
assuming you can identify what volvo used.

round or flat pins?
Have a look through waytek's catalog
http://www.waytekwire.com/manf/03/Amphenol/
http://www.waytekwire.com/manf/45/Delphi/
that's where I usually get them from.

Looks like it's bosch, according to the intarwebs
sticking wires in from the front in the holes would have popped them out.
this is the removal tool.

http://www.bosch-connectors.com/bogscoca/category/3
identify and buy new pins. insert into new cars connector.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I have the instructions for the wiring harness install, as it came with the harness kit when I bought it online just several months ago. They are easy to find brand new. Should take 5 min to search.

It's a shame that you cut the wires though... :(

1 - 18 of 18 Posts