SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 XC90 V8 with 3d row seats, premium audio, nav and the DVD entertainment system.

There was no factory subwoofer option as I understand it for cars with the 3d row seats......

I also have a 2007 Nissan Murano (310K original miles!) with factory Bose audio. The factory sub for that system lives in the middle of the spare tire.

I'm wondering if it might be possible to wire the bose sub from the nissan into the premium audio of the 06 XC90.... subs are running under $50 on ePay....

Anybody else explored this option?

Thanks in advance, and apologies if this has already been discussed......

·
Registered
649 Posts
I have a 2006 XC90 V8 with 3d row seats, premium audio, nav and the DVD entertainment system.

There was no factory subwoofer option as I understand it for cars with the 3d row seats......
There is a factory subwoofer for all XC90s upto and including 2008.
It fits in the side panel above the REM, in the same space as the 3rd row air conditioning option.
Whether you have 3rd row seats or not is irrelevant. What is relevant is the 3rd row aircon.
So you can have factory subwoofer, or 3rd row airconditioning, but not both.

I have neither :(

The factory sub sits in the MOST fiber bus, and has power from the REM
A software upgrade enables the subwoofer menu in the ICM (headunit) so you can control the subwoofer level.
It is the software upgrade that stops at 2008 cars, and is not available in 2009 and above

One option you have if you wish to add your own subwoofer, and if you have no rear AC, is:
  1. Get a Volvo factory subwoofer 2nd hand from a wreckers
  2. Remove the amplifier module from the subwoofer
  3. Fit your own amplifier and wire to the speaker (dual coil)
  4. Power the amp from the REM
  5. Feed the amp with the D-pillar speaker wires, these are full-frequency speaker signals from the reach channel of the stereo.

If you use this option you do not loose any space in the cargo area.
Alternatively, sacrifice the space directly behind the 3rd row seats and add a custom sub enclosure.
I didn't want to do this as there is so little storage space in the XC90 that I didn't want to loose any of it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, so I need to do some more homework on the Bose Sub...

I'm proposing transplanting in a Bose subwoofer module from a Nissan Murano. THAT module lives inside the spare tire of the Murano, so the space should be available in the volvo.

My XC90 DOES have the 3d row seats and the rear AC, so transplanting in a volvo sub is not an option.

I -think- the Bose Subwoofer is powered with an internal amp, and accepts analog audio in; I need to verify this and get the pinout of the wiring leading to it.

IF I am correct, and I understand you correctly, I should be able to take the audio signal from somewhere in the rear pillar (not sure where?) and power from the REM, whatever that is?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a 2003 model 2.5T with a third row. It also had premium sound and I found the subwoofer by accident (when replacing second and third row). It's on the left side. I replaced my factory HU with an aftermarket android HU. Since I found the sub after the replacement I haven't yet connected the sub. I got the parts today. The sub is MOST so fiberoptics and I read a post somewhere of somebody trying a convertor to translate the fiber optics to analogue but that didn't work. What he did was taking the input signal from the left back top speaker close to the sub. It is a tweeter I think but interestingly the signal is full range so you'll get all the frequencies. Since it is only left channel you should maybe take signal from both left and right. He then wired the signal through a filter to filter out the high frequencies. I'll try and look up the source if I can find it again. Since I have a sub output on the HU I took out the sub amp and wired the speaker and power cables to the battery compartment. I ordered a small TPA3116 sub amp on Aliexpress (around 10 dollars) and will route an RCA cable from the front to back. The amp can fit next to the battery. I'll take some pics.

·
Registered
649 Posts
OK, so I need to do some more homework on the Bose Sub...

I'm proposing transplanting in a Bose subwoofer module from a Nissan Murano. THAT module lives inside the spare tire of the Murano, so the space should be available in the volvo.

My XC90 DOES have the 3d row seats and the rear AC, so transplanting in a volvo sub is not an option.

I -think- the Bose Subwoofer is powered with an internal amp, and accepts analog audio in; I need to verify this and get the pinout of the wiring leading to it.

IF I am correct, and I understand you correctly, I should be able to take the audio signal from somewhere in the rear pillar (not sure where?) and power from the REM, whatever that is?
You need to rethink your plan.
The Volvo spare wheel is underneath the car, and thus putting a sub inside the spare wheel, under the trunk, exposed to the weather, is really not a good idea at all.

Available enclosure spaces for a sub would be:
1. Inside the taillight access panels left and right in the D-pillar
2. Under the trunk floor, behind the 3rd row of seats, right next to the battery
3. Between 3rd row and 2nd row seats, on the floor
4. Under one of the front seats

·
Registered
497 Posts
I don't think he meant he'd put it in the spare tire location on the XC90, just that if it was small enough fit in the spare tire of the Murano there must be enough space somewhere in the XC90.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you take the two speakers and the amp out of the round enclosure for the spare tire fit you should be able to put them in the space where Volvo puts it's sub. Provided there is no airco there. You could even consider the roof but I have no idea of the depth of the cones and mounting them would be difficult as they do need some sturdy mounts and something to avoid all things around vibrating with. The void on the left side seems best place. Find a way to line up both coils with mounting brackets and bolt them in. I tested my new amp today and it works fine. Need to fit it into an enclosure and run the RCA cable from front to back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts