SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister has a power steering leak in her 2.5 t XC 90 and needs to fill the reservoir up for the time being. What is a good substitute for Pentosin 202? The dealer is charging almost $30 a liter and she is a poor masters student...not to mention I am helping her over the phone to diagnose the issue. Also, where are common areas this car develops power steering leaks at? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
668 Posts
If you have an autoparts wherehouse near by they can tell you what will work and they may have it in stock. I am lucky enough to have both a NAPA and CARQUEST warehouses intown and they often have the obscure fluids like Pentosin in stock. If your sister lives in a place with lots of VOLVOs the ordinary stores may have it in stock. I do not know where they commonly leak from but it should be easy to tell once you/ she gets the skid plate off the bottom.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She is in Arizona, going to school at ASU, and I am in Portland Oregon. So, I can't really help her and there is no way she can check for the leak that involves getting under the car. I will just have her call around.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I'm in SC so no chance I can help, but maybe someone on this board will be willing to give her a hand. I would have her call around. On my xc70 I think one of the power steering hoses passes real close to one of the aux belt pulleys. She may be able to get an idea from looking from the top.

·
Registered
649 Posts
O'Reilly Auto Parts has Pentosin 202 for $18/liter. Usually stored in the backroom and is not on the shelf. You have to ask for it, and if the guy just give you a strange look and tells you all they have is on the shelf, tell him it's a specialty hydraulic fluid and usually is stored in the backroom.

The O'Reilly next to me had exactly one can in the back and it's been there for as long as the employees could remember :| and it has rust spots on the top. The can is sealed and I can't imagine a product like this going bad.

·
Registered
649 Posts
On another note, both Royal Purple and Redline power steering fluid claims to meet Volvo specifications, but then again I'm not 100% sure if it will work within Volvo specs. Royal Purple is very easy to find, most Autozone or Advance Auto carries it, but Redline usually has to be ordered online or bought from a specialty shop or speed shop. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She found it at O'Reillys I think...it was at a regular parts store. Still not sure where it is leaking; could be at the pump or on the rack. Either way it definitely pisses out when the pump is going from the pics I have seen.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts