SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed a fair size pool of oil where my cars sits in the garage. Was hoping it was from my gfs Explorer from when she had it parked in their over the week but to no avail. <p>From what i can see, which isnt much, it is leaking on the passenger side of the engine. It is all over my cv boot, wheel well, rim and all over the frame. It looks like it is coming from behind the timing cover somewhere. I am guessing it is some sort of seal???

·
Banned
63,535 Posts
Re: Substantial oil leak (855T)

Cam seal.<br>Turbo return line and of course it could be a bad<br>Rear main seal.<br>

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Re: Substantial oil leak (JRL)

Rear main leaks more on the drivers side atleast mine did.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Oil pump seals possibly. I am betting its the square O-ring that is between the oil pan and the oil cooler line junction block. If that goes bad you will get lots of oil out of there.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not the RMS as i know that exact spot in my garage and it isnt leaking enough to worry about. <p>Turbo return line was repaired a few months ago and is still bone dry.<p>Cam seal was my first guess. But by the looks of things it is definetly an o ring or seal behind the timing cover somewhere. If it is either is there any chance of the oil getting on my T belt? I have to drive an hour to the shop so there will be oil a plenty coming out for a while. <p>Also are these seals or orings an expensive fix? Car is going in on Wednesday for a PVC overhaul ($500) and i am hoping i am not going to spend anywhere near $1000.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Well if its just the o-ring at the oil cooler line junction its under $100 easily. If its cam seals....you're looking quite a bit more. You have to look at the price of the cam seals, t-belt, plus the labor involved which is pretty extensive since you pull the cam gears off. A complete cam/crank setup is needed to insure its done properly, which the starter comes out and a plug goes in to lock the crank, the distributor cap and rotor come off and the crank position sensor comes out for a tool to lock the cams.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts