SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1997 volvo 850 Fwd
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have to replace my subframe and before I just start taking **** off I would like to have a plan and procure the required tools if there is any special tools needed for the job. Before making this post I searched the forum to see if there were any subframe removal threads on my year (1997) 850. Now I know there is some interchangeability on some of these models but as I am new to the swede scene, I am equally ignorant. So in short was wondering what would be the best course of action ? Tools needed? Tips? Any helpful info is appreciated.

Thank you!

·
Registered
17,311 Posts
Engine support bar. Nothing else special really.

·
Registered
818 Posts
The engine support (from above) is pretty much it.The rest is just turning wrenches.
The SF main bolts are on TIGHT (and should also be replaced), so plan for that.

I've done it leaving the steering rack in the car and also dropping rack with the SF. If you don't need to mess with the rack at all, and the mounting fasteners come loose w/o issue (I've had the mounting studs in the rack start to spin, which are hard to deal with while in the car) that'll save you some hassle of messing with the steering u-joint coupler (which can be a pain to deal with) and breaking open the PS fluid system.

·
Registered
1997 volvo 850 Fwd
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So if at all possible leave the rack alone. Haha got it. So the engine support bar is one thing I don't have, what is a good place to get one?

·
Registered
818 Posts
It's just extra un-needed work if you remove it.

I picked up one from Harbor Freight a few years back when I did the clutch replacement in my '96 GLT.

There are probably some DIY options as well.

·
Registered
818 Posts

·
Registered
1997 volvo 850 Fwd
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So all was a success, did the swap today everything came apart extremely simply. Even the bushings were a breeze to get out, literally just put a small chunk of exhaust under it and hit the out with a hammer, no prying or drilling necessary. And the new derlin bushings went in just as well. After dropping the subframe my mechanic and I discovered the struts were bent on both sides. I hit the driver side and the previous owner had to of hit the passenger side bc the strut and cv shaft had junkyard markings on them. I also had to replace the driverside cv shaft bc when I hit the curb it ripped the boot and sprayed greese everywhere. Oriellys had only one of each part in stock at the hub store so I got super lucky. The sway bar links and sway bar were also bent so I replaced those as well. And as for the ipd sway bars I love them serious improvement to the handling of the car, that and the derlin bushings really stiffened up the car. You can feel the reduced braking dive, I mean night and day. Cornering and body roll amazing now, still will be putting in the rear sway bar for added stiffness in the rear. All in all went very well and now my volvo has a whole new front end. I want to thank everyone on this site for all the info they provided and for steering me in the right direction! 😁

1 - 11 of 11 Posts