SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone use febi bilstien brand for subframe bushes??

Also I know IPD sells those subframe inserts, but I came up with an easy cheap solution. Windshield sealant (which is actually urethane) dries to an extremely rigid but still flexible state. What if we filled the voids of the bushes with this stuff let it dry (2-3 hours) and tada u got a solid mount. Could even fill the voids of the upper mount.

I'll get a tube of urethane and test this out.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
The windshield material is too soft a durometer. I would use something a bit higher durometer. I know Liquid Nails Polyurethane Construction Adhesive is >60A, per the data sheet. I do not know the durometer of the other available polyurethane construction adhesives.

There are also polyurethane resins that can be bought with whatever hardness you would like, but it seems you are looking for a cost effective idea.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The subframe mounts are themselves are softer than windshield urethane. So using the urethane in my mind would be sufficient

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Poly yes is stronger. But I was just thinkin OEM bushes. I can get a tube of winshield urethane for $20. Probably enough in that tube to do all 4 sub-bushes and the upper bush.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I don't know what kind of hardware stores you have in Canada, but at Home Depot or Lowes or Ace, here in the states, you can grab a tube of polyurethane construction adhesive for ~$5.00.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I use construction adhesive a lot (renovations) it dries very brittle, pretty much how a carpenters glue is once dry.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I have window weld in my upper mount, it works great but is messy. You will need to do several layers with dry time for each. And I spent 24 hrs with the small heater going in the shop to make it cure faster.

I paid way less for the window weld online. Like $13

1 - 11 of 11 Posts