SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I stop my engine (warmed up) and let the car sit for 10-20 minutes or so, then restart, I get a revved up engine even though I'm not on the accelerator pedal.

I'm thinking the carb(s) may be slowly leaking gas into the intake manifold while it sits for these minutes and until the fuel pump pressure bleeds down. This would indicate a very slightly leaking bowl valve. It doesn't do this every time and the car has to sit 10-20 minutes for it to happen. Short stops and restarts no problem

Anyone ever experience this? If so, is my theory correct?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahh, makes sense. So does that mean one of my throttle shafts is sticking or moving back open slightly?

·
Registered
35 Posts
My B20 with SU's does the exact same, its the weirdest thing and I still haven't been able to figure out why or how it's happening. I've changed intakes, manifold gaskets, carb gaskets, cleaned the carbs, checked a re-checked all the carb settings, etc. It too only does it when warmed up and after sitting for a short while, the car runs and drives fine otherwise. It's very frustrating, and moderately embarrassing especially when people think I'm revving the engine on purpose. I agree it acts like it's flooded with gas because after 10 seconds or so the idle calms and goes to normal.

I would really love to know the solution to this, I've hit dead ends every time I try to diagnose it. The car has only acted this way after switching from Weber 32/36's to SU's. I have no PCV valve on my engine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts