SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 960 has been having some hot start issues, sluggish idle, some loss of power on hills, along with a substantial hiss when the gas cap is removed. I unplugged and sealed the hose leading to the charcoal canister from the tank, and sealed the nipple on the tank, and things have improved considerably so I'm thinking clogged canister (150K on the clock). It looks like you have to remove the air filter box to get to it. It appears that there are 4 plastic tabs holding the air box in place, but no matter how much I push and poke and twist them with a large flat-blade screwdriver they just won't release. I don't want to risk snapping anything apart, but is it just a matter of more elbow grease or am I approaching this incorrectly.

Guess I should check out the engine coolant temp sensor and O2 sensor as well. Pull the plugs and see if I'm running rich (exhaust pipe has a goodly amount of black in it, but I don't notice a black cloud under acceleration). I don't think these things have an air/fuel adjustment like the 780 have, do they?

Thanks

Chuck

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Shoot some juice on those tabs and they should push out ok.

Once the car is back together and running dump the OBD codes and post them here.

Thanks.

George Dill

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I kinda thought it was just a matter of force over plastic but I've broken off enough "no these are NOT bendable tabs" to ask first! No CEL showing at any time except for the MAF which just needs to be cleaned periodically. Or do I get a running list of all the OBD codes for the history of the car?

Thanks

Chuck

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
My experience over the years with different vehicles is that canisters rarely get plugged up, but the vacuum lines do. Disconnect the lines at both ends and blow some air through them; if they're really plugged you may have to alternate the air at the front and the rear several times to loosen up the crap.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts