SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
"Stupid" questions (update 2012-11-16)

More questions on 2012-11-15 below or click here: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ot-questions&p=2010525&viewfull=1#post2010525

----------

I know there was a thread, but the search function is so weak I'm starting another thread.

I have a few questions:

1- Can we connect a Garmin GPS to bluetooth to have voice directions in the speakers? When I do a search either to/from phone with bluetooth it doesn't seem to find my GPS. I was expecting to be able to get nav in the speakers with music volume lowering when getting turn by turn directions.

2- I have a V50 and it seems there is no way to light up the upper portion of the tail lights, is that normal, is there a bulb in there or it's strictly reflector??

3- Is it possible that the car, even though a US car, has DRLs? I only drove it once and now it's parked at the cottage awaiting export so I can't double check, but I think the HIDs were on even though the knob was all the way to "off".

4- Is there a way to get the car to turn off the parking lights when shutting off? When I put the car on parking lights, seems they stay on when I leave the car. My Toyota truck always shuts off the lights (any position) and if I want them on while the car off, I need to re-turn the knob to the on position.

Thanks!

·
Registered
658 Posts
As to #3, DRLs are on many S40/V50 models. Mine has the "feature".

As to #4, Volvo didn't have the intelligence at the time to have an "Auto-Off" feature for parking lights, even though they decided to do it if in the headlight position.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
More stupid than a stupid question is not asking the question :thumbup:

3 - Yes DRL are common in the US. Mine has it. Many don't like it. I for one do :D

4 - Some have implied that if parking light are ON on position 1 is intentional. It is supposedly so you can park your car overnight on the side of the road and have it seen by vehicle passing. It makes some sens though I would probably never do that... However battery drain is not an issue for parking lights for an overnight period.

Further more, auto shut off is different. It is with normal lighting (position 2). FYI, you can use the brights at night to see your way to the door. The way it works is: Stop the car. Before stepping out, pull the bright lever once then release. This will turn on the brights. Step out of the car and close the car. The brights will stay on for the time that is set in the control menu. I have used that many times.

You can also use the floor mirror lighting with your remote control. Those are also on a timer.

I found this way to be more practical because it requires an action on your part so you fill more confident about the delay. My wife's car has an automatic light delay feature such as your truck. I can't tell you how many times I've waited to make sure they go off :p

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So it seems I have all my 4 questions answered.

Few more questions:

a) Can we add Homelink sunvisor without any other item than the sunvisor itself? (I think so from reading a post somewhere here)

b) Similarly, can we add the puddle lights (mirrors) the same way (swap mirrors and plug) or it needs more (program, wiring, etc)???

Thanks!

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
seems the mirrors with the lights are also retractable, the fully assembly is ~$150 each side, I guess it needs a switch too and probably a software thing.. and maybe wiring if it's not prewired...

Damn these cars are not easy to upgrade!

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Homelink is indeed just a visor replacement. No wiring, programming, etc. I've done it on my car.

Puddle lights in mirror... I was under the impression they were standard on all the cars. My plain Jane 05' has them. ???

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Homelink is indeed just a visor replacement. No wiring, programming, etc. I've done it on my car.

Puddle lights in mirror... I was under the impression they were standard on all the cars. My plain Jane 05' has them. ???
2010 r design and no puddle light and no retractable either...

checked parts sites and it seems i could swap parts but not sure if wiring is there

------
Excuse all the typos.. Sent from mobile device.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, more questions...

I just noticed both the fog lights and the hi-beams are not xenon (mains are)

1- Can I install cheap HIDs in the fog lights without causing havoc in the electronics?

2- Can I do the same for the high beams or it's trickier?

3- Is there a way (wire, vida or dealer software) to have the fog lights stay on when the hish beams are on?

Thanks!!!

I'll have more for sure:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts