SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my alleged 166K mile front brakes need to be replaced. I got Zimmermann discs and Akebono pads and was ready to have at it today, but I ran into 2 questions. First, last time I installed new discs on anything, they were coated with cosmoline. I washed it off. These discs have some gray stuff that looks like primer. The sheet in the box says not to remove it. Am I correct in assuming I should leave it, even on the swept areas?

Second, the bolts that hold the caliper frames to the hubs are angle torque bolts. Generally, I believe these "torque to yield" bolts should be replaced, but, of course, I didn't get new ones. I can follow the original procedure (105Nm + 60 degrees), the regular (Volvo) torque for M14 bolts (130Nm), the general torque for M14 8.8 bolts (160Nm), or wait for new bolts. I intend to put loctite on them unless I get the new ones. What do you think?

TIA

·
Super Moderator
8,698 Posts
To your first question, just do what the manufacturer says.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Answer on bolt(s) will depend on who you ask.

I buy these when I get parts so normally have around, but I have reused the same caliper bolts before with a little Loctite on them. I would not suggest subframe bolts and axle bolts and LCA hardware or any powertrain related angle torque specific hardware be reused, but these and the strut bolts are probably reasonable candidates to consider. I don't use more than twice but that's just my preference.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts