SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a really stupid question... But how are you guys getting your cars up onto jack stands?

When originally looking for a sub-frame spot to jack the car up, I couldn't find anything but plastic panels.

What I've done all along has been to work on one corner at a time. Jack it up, place the jack stand right next to the jack, and leave the car supported by the jack. If the car were to fall, the plastic trim would break, but the stand would catch it close to where it was jacked up from.

:screwy:

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
thats what I do as well, put it right next to where I jacked up the car lol. Under all that plastic I think theres metal ??? Either way my car has yet to fall so my guess is as good as yours

·
Registered
753 Posts
I jack up my car from other solid spots under the car and use the above mentioned spots for the stands.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
i put the stands next to where I jack the car up along the sides. i used to be hesitant but have done it so much that i am used to it now.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Final jacking up position is all I care!
I always use 4 stands (except to swap wheels, where I use two to lift one side)
I put the stands where there is no plastic trim so nothing moves once car rest on stands.
I typically place the jack right behind the front stand, same support beam but on the plastic (where the critical weight is, the engine) just enough to clear the stand.
I never leave the load on the jack. If something where to happen the less I'd be trapped the better. But that will hopefully never ever happen!

If I'm patient (or more so if the work is going to require some force) I do it in 4 steps :p
Lift one side half way - put the stand - lower
Lift the other side all the way - put the stands lower
Lift the first side the rest of the way - adjust stands - lower
Lift the second side a tad to let stands re-settled (which it typically does quite a bit, a matter of angle) - lower . . . then I slip under the car and take a nap ;)

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
For the fronts, I jack up the car using the subframe and put the jack stands at the jack points (under the driver and passenger door sils).

The rear, I wanted to do the same thing, however the V of my jack stands causes it to put undue pressure on the side skirts (factory kit), so I usually put the jack stands on the subframe.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
So to be clear I only lift the car side to side because I never know where to put the jack for a true front or rear lift.
At that point it does not matter too much where the jack is placed so I always lift the car side ways always right behind the front stand location regardless if I work on the front or rear wheel. I typically lift the car as much as I can than put two stands apart per stands location...
I tell myself it's okay I can't lift only the rear or the front because I don't have wheel stops to insure the car does not role anyway :p

But, does anyone actually lift the car truly from the rear or from the front (the front which I thought was almost impossible)?

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
So to be clear I only lift the car side to side because I never know where to put the jack for a true front or rear lift.
At that point it does not matter too much where the jack is placed so I always lift the car side ways always right behind the front stand location regardless if I work on the front or rear wheel. I typically lift the car as much as I can than put two stands apart per stands location...
I tell myself it's okay I can't lift only the rear or the front because I don't have wheel stops to insure the car does not role anyway :p

But, does anyone actually lift the car truly from the rear or from the front (the front which I thought was almost impossible)?
Yes, I usually work only front or back. I put blocks under the opposite wheels and always leave the car in reverse (manual). For the front, I will jack where the rear of the subgrame bolts together. I then put the jack stands at the jack points. I have no idea how people jack and put stands with only the points, there just isn't enough room.

I do what JN2k108 describes below for the rear \/

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
there's a place on the rear the suspension where you can lift up both wheels at the same time and put jack stands underneath. the fronts not so much.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Lol, we should all take pics of what we're doing and post it here . . . The first time I put the car on jacks I tell you I was quite unsure of myself. I would have been happier knowing what we are talking about. Now I've done it often enough...

This is sometime ago.
Another time I'll have to remember to take some shots of the procedure and under carriage . . .

Oh I got these two:

·
Super Moderator
15,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lol, we should all take pics of what we're doing and post it here
Yes, let's turn this into a picture related thread please! I'm going to attempt the brakes again soon, so I'll post a picture of what I'm doing.

I'm still so scared I'm doing something wrong and I don't want to put myself or the car in danger, or more importantly, I don't want to look stupid to the neighbors :p

Your car needs a flowing cape in this picture.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Wow, he's got a big garage. Nice!

·
Registered
387 Posts
For the rear I've always lifted in the area I just colored. Thanks TG for the photo :)

Make sure not to push the jack to far forward. You don't want to put pressure on the fuel pump, which is that black box behind the cross member.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
For the rear I've always lifted in the area I just colored. Thanks TG for the photo :)
That's the spot!

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk while on the toilet.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
You guys still use these same stand points when you lift your car from there?
I guess the front lift stays a mystery to me . . .

Wow, he's got a big garage. Nice!
Lol, he was working in his old office's garage... That's the problem, he doesn't have a big garage and now he can't even work there ;)

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Okay, rear: as above. Simply use the cross member of the rear suspension and done.
Front: side for side. Problem being, that there is no older style crossmember which is easy enough to get to.

If I do the rears separatly, I use the spring mounts... They are stable enough to work with :)

The front is then put on stands where the A-frames/suspension arms hit the main chassis (front) or where the cross member at the rear is.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
If you jack it up at the front, you can try this position:

If you look (with wheel removed) in the wheel well, you'll see a solid "pipe" heading to the lengthy members...:

That is where I rest my front end on, when working on it :)

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Daim, can you expend on how you jacked up the front? I still don't see where is a loading point reachable by the jack . . . :(

1 - 20 of 28 Posts