SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Stupid question....

So today I was parked on a hill for a good amount of time (a few hours). When I got back into my car I had the red triangle and (!) and brake light come on. The display warning message was simple enough.. "Low Brake Fluid. Please Brake Safely."

I went to the local parts store and grabbed a bottle of brake fluid. This is where I get dumb. I honestly did not even think to check what type of fluid Volvo called for (I have only had my 07 S40 for months-ish). I have only ever had a car that required DOT3 fluids. Upon inspection S40 actually suggests DOT4. I am well aware of the differences and what they mean but my question is does anything think that I should worry? I don't have a long daily commute and don't brake much since it's basically a straight shot to work.

Does anyone else run DOT3? Should I be concerned? Thoughts/comments/opinions appreciated.

Edit: Yes I know a misspelled 'quesiton' in the thread title. I am having a terrible day.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I have never experienced or heard of a situation like this, but with regards to the fact that the DOT3 is essentially "weaker" to heat, I think it will be fine as long as you don't push the car too hard. Does anyone know if there are differences that will effect seals?

Also, it is very possible that you could extract the fluid, as it should all be sitting in the resevoir.

Edit: Yes I know a misspelled 'quesiton' in the thread title. I am having a terrible day.
I didn't notice it until you mentioned it :D

·
Registered
114 Posts
You should be fine; I'm over 90% sure the dealership I bought my car from used Dot 3 when the replaced my rotors, pads, fluid etc(rotors were warped when I bought the car and the little no name dealership replaced w/ who knows what). My braking always felt a little off, but you'll be fine, just get new stuff in soon; if you're in NJ I've been looking for an excuse to use the ATE super blue sitting in my cabinet, unopened....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I baby my car and never EVER mistreat or "hotrod" it. I don't drive far to work. I just didn't know if it was a huge deal or if I could just add it next time.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Best question might be how is the fluid low? No leaks hopefully but when was the last time the pads were changed? If the pads don't have enough meat on them more fluid can be needed for normal use, check em out.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Best question might be how is the fluid low? No leaks hopefully but when was the last time the pads were changed? If the pads don't have enough meat on them more fluid can be needed for normal use, check em out.
+1
Don't sweat the DOT 3. Totally compatible, no harm to seals. Do a flush with 4 when you change your pads. Like BlackTongue I'm guessing that will be soon.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Most Likely - just on the Low side and the Hill Kicked on the Warning light . BUTT - that said
If it was low enough to do that then It's high Time to have the Brakes Bleed - Fully anyhow .

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone. My brakes still have a little life to them. I was just worried that I would have to bleed them now. I will do an entire flush when I get new pads. You guys are the best and have helped to put my mind at ease. Next time I won't assume anything.

And BlackTongue, I appreciate the offer. I am in Knoxville though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts