SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure I understand the PCC. Do I need to put the keys in the dashboard to start the car. I test drove an XC60 R with the Platinum package today. THe car only had 7 miles on it and had not been test drove before.

The salesman said I needed to put the key in and then could take it out. We started the car that way. I then turned it off to look at the sticker to see what options were in the vehicle (didn't know it was Platinum).

I was then able to start the car without putting the key in.

So...

Either this was an idiot sales guy or there is a time when after initial starting you dont need the key.

I dont get why Volvo would demand you put the key in.

Thanks

Steve

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
PCC

Put the key in your pocket and forget about it. You can open the door and start the car without taking it out of your pocket. It's a great feature, once you have it it's hard to live without it.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Put the key in your pocket and forget about it. You can open the door and start the car without taking it out of your pocket. It's a great feature, once you have it it's hard to live without it.
+1

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hate salesman....

I hate it when I know more about a vehicle then the salesman. Well I guess that seals the deal, OSD with Bob Kennedy :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
I hate it when I know more about a vehicle then the salesman. Well I guess that seals the deal, OSD with Bob Kennedy :)
The fact that you are here is proof that you'll ALWAYS know more than the salespeople. That's not the reason to dislike them, IMO. Instead, you should be resentful that they mislead people who aren't enthusiasts and are happy to take customers to the cleaners. That "warm welcome" and "My name is..., what's yours?" crap you get when you walk in the door comes from the same set of repulsive, manipulative sales techniques as making up fictional answers to questions as a way of projecting "expertise" about the cars.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
I knew things about my car that Marcus, at FDC, did not know. In his defense, he has to deal with many different vehicles with different specifications while I only cared about mine. I wasn't bothered by the fact.

The normal "key" does need to be put into the slot (at least slightly) until the button is pressed, and then can be removed. The Salescritter didn't switch into the "PCC" mode in his mind.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
That "warm welcome" and "My name is..., what's yours?" crap you get when you walk in the door comes from the same set of repulsive, manipulative sales techniques as making up fictional answers to questions as a way of projecting "expertise" about the cars.
While we didn't encounter it at the Volvo dealer, the way some of these guys treat women is positively neanderthal. They always want to deal with me and when I tell them "she's buying the car, I'm just here to sign paperwork", the first question is often "what color would you like?". She then hits them with technical questions (that she often knows the answer to) that they have no idea and have to go look up.

I've read a bunch of the "closer" magazines and largely immune to their override-sales-avoidance techniques. I've called them on it before.

Mary is verygood at sales negotiation. Her best advice: be willing to walk away.

·
Registered
365 Posts
It's a great feature, once you have it it's hard to live without it.
No doubt. Had it on my last two cars (both CPO cars - I wouldnt have paid extra for it) and its strangely addictive. Grew to distain having to dig the key out of my pocket in other cars. The epitome of lazy - LOL.

I hate it when I know more about a vehicle then the salesman. :)
...like the guy who told me that Polestar on a R-edition XC60 still cost extra. UGH!

Her best advice: be willing to walk away.
Its amazing how powerful the ability to walk away from a deal can be....

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Mary is verygood at sales negotiation. Her best advice: be willing to walk away.
Its amazing how powerful the ability to walk away from a deal can be....
Unfortunately, that walk isn't always leading back to a Volvo showroom. Would have been a different story if I 'had' to have the extra HP or Technology, but leaving the big 'V' showroom "saved" me $5000 on the last deal. We'll be back IF a new convertible arrives in 3-4 years. ;)

And yeah, PCC is pretty addictive. Now, if I JUST didn't have to turn the 'stove knob' to start the C70! :)

Steve...you were looking at a '13 at the dealer? Or working a deal on a '12 R ? We kinda dropped the OSD ball with this last purchase...I have mixed feelings about that, but saving a few thousand by getting a '12 might be worthwhile.(Apologies to all the OSD folks out there! I know I'll kick myself a time or two when next summer arrives and my 'zero' birthday celebration doesn't include a trip to Sweden! :) ) .

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Steve...you were looking at a '13 at the dealer? Or working a deal on a '12 R ? We kinda dropped the OSD ball with this last purchase...I have mixed feelings about that, but saving a few thousand by getting a '12 might be worthwhile.(Apologies to all the OSD folks out there! I know I'll kick myself a time or two when next summer arrives and my 'zero' birthday celebration doesn't include a trip to Sweden! ) .

I was looking at a 13 at the dealer. I am planning on ordering a 13r through OSD. I am putting a deposit down for in late Dec for a July delivery.

Steve

·
Registered
365 Posts
Unfortunately, that walk isn't always leading back to a Volvo showroom. .
Same is true anywhere.

I walked away from BMW after two 7-series and 5-series after being treated poorly. Its all cyclical. LOL.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Unfortunately, that walk isn't always leading back to a Volvo showroom. Would have been a different story if I 'had' to have the extra HP or Technology, but leaving the big 'V' showroom "saved" me $5000 on the last deal. We'll be back IF a new convertible arrives in 3-4 years. ;)
That is true. We were talking about negotiating in general (car dealers in particular) -- not specific to Volvo. Of course, when there are multiple dealers in the area, you have some choice. And you can always choose to walk back in if you can't do better elsewhere (the customer isn't always right).

And yeah, PCC is pretty addictive. Now, if I JUST didn't have to turn the 'stove knob' to start the C70! :)
Mary has it on her car and likes it. I wasn't willing to pay extra to get it on the Volvo. I do like not having to use a key though.

We kinda dropped the OSD ball with this last purchase...I have mixed feelings about that, but saving a few thousand by getting a '12 might be worthwhile.(Apologies to all the OSD folks out there! I know I'll kick myself a time or two when next summer arrives and my 'zero' birthday celebration doesn't include a trip to Sweden! :) ) .
There is no shame in not going OSD. It isn't for everyone or for every car (especially if you can't wait). It was a great experience for us.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts