SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2021 XC60 Inscription Denim Blue, T5, Prancing Moose, AWD, Climate,
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've been looking at some of the VIDA/DICE options but I'm still a bit confused on what I'd get to do with a VIDA/DICE unit.

I have a 2011 S80 and a 2013 XC60.

I've had to replace the battery in the S80 at a roadside repair facility that obviously is not the dealer. I would like to know if VIDA would allow me to reset the battery warning indicator that the dealer wants to charge me $75 to erase. There are no dealers where the S80 is located 3/4 of the year and this is a bit silly for me when I have to use maintenance help that isn't a dealer.

Also, on my XC60, I've had it into the dealer for service intervals and brought up that the seats don't heat properly. Neither of the fronts do and to be honest, I don't even know if the backs heat well because I rarely have anyone in them. On multiple times at different dealers, I'm told they work "to potential".

I find this a bit absurd since the S80 heats my ass off and several of the loaner Volvos I have do as well.

Will VIDA allow me to check this or to see if there is a master module that isn't working to capacity?

What would I really get on a newer Volvo with VIDA if things are under warranty still?

I'm seriously considering getting one of these things since I'm planning on getting a new S90 or the even newer unreleased S60 when it comes out.

I just don't know if it's worth the bother on newer Volvos under warranty other than to check what a dealer is telling me.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thank you kindly.

·
Registered
773 Posts
VIDA needs DiCE unit to work on the car, and you'd need the 2014 version of VIDA for the newest car. On my 2005, I can check the temperature setting for my seats (have low and high temperature settings) and can change them to one of 3 alternatives, can't see why you couldn't do the same, if your car has those options. Finding it will be hard, but it is probably in the CEM settings. If there is a bad wire, VIDA may tell you the module is not responding properly, but the dealer should have seen that.

VIDA should also reset the battery warning, although I've never seen that and never looked for in when I had VIDA hooked to my car.

What you get with VIDA is the ability to check settings on the car, and if the CEL comes on, you can see what caused it. I was leaving for Memorial Day weekend a few years ago, and the CEL came on, and the car lost performance. I hooked VIDA up, and found out the pressure sensor in the intake was bad. Stopped by a dealer that was open until noon, bought the sensor, and had it installed in 5 minutes or less. If car had been in warranty, the question would have been do I wait and not use the car this weekend, or do I spend a few dollars and get it fixed myself, and finish my trip. Clearly, I avoided a charge for diagnostics, and the cost of replacing the part, so I figure I saved a minimum of $100 there.

Otherwise, under warranty, it doesn't do you a lot of good, except that if your car isn't near a dealer, you can diagnose it yourself, and be able to decide if it needs a visit to the dealer, or just some small mechanical work that doesn't suck up much time.

·
Registered
2021 XC60 Inscription Denim Blue, T5, Prancing Moose, AWD, Climate,
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
VIDA needs DiCE unit to work on the car, and you'd need the 2014 version of VIDA for the newest car. On my 2005, I can check the temperature setting for my seats (have low and high temperature settings) and can change them to one of 3 alternatives, can't see why you couldn't do the same, if your car has those options. Finding it will be hard, but it is probably in the CEM settings. If there is a bad wire, VIDA may tell you the module is not responding properly, but the dealer should have seen that.

VIDA should also reset the battery warning, although I've never seen that and never looked for in when I had VIDA hooked to my car.

What you get with VIDA is the ability to check settings on the car, and if the CEL comes on, you can see what caused it. I was leaving for Memorial Day weekend a few years ago, and the CEL came on, and the car lost performance. I hooked VIDA up, and found out the pressure sensor in the intake was bad. Stopped by a dealer that was open until noon, bought the sensor, and had it installed in 5 minutes or less. If car had been in warranty, the question would have been do I wait and not use the car this weekend, or do I spend a few dollars and get it fixed myself, and finish my trip. Clearly, I avoided a charge for diagnostics, and the cost of replacing the part, so I figure I saved a minimum of $100 there.

Otherwise, under warranty, it doesn't do you a lot of good, except that if your car isn't near a dealer, you can diagnose it yourself, and be able to decide if it needs a visit to the dealer, or just some small mechanical work that doesn't suck up much time.
Thanks a ton.

Seems like it's a no brainer. I'll be keeping my XC60 for some time and have the kids S80 to deal with currently.

Now I just need to grab a unit on a deal and I'm set.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts