SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Changed the oil for the third time. For some reason I convinced myself that oil filter cap gasket goes against the top of the cap and not down one notch. Drove it for two days with no problems and then I noticed oil the whole length of the driveway and a huge puddle on the garage floor. It must have blown the seal while driving up the driveway. Oil all over the engine. Wash what I could, cleaned the driveway, kitty litter on the garage floor pool. Will get some degreaser for the floor and some Dawn for the engine.

I'm really anal about keeping the car clean. What a freakin' mess!

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Sorry to Hear at least You didn't Run it out of Oil or the Other Rookie Mistake , an Assume the Filter Cap is down all the way - due to Resistances ( Hard to Turn ) from trying to
Screw the Oil Canister Filter down ( With the Cap ) instead of Pushing it down by Hand - then tightening Cap .

·
Super Moderator
15,186 Posts
Could be worse. Had a friend forget to replace his drain plug (BMW) before pouring 5 quarts of oil in. The oil came right out and he was at a loss.

You have me wanting to double check my cap now, I'm going to go do that. I haven't seen any problems though.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
dang Kaustein - thats a bummer. but to look at glass half full - like Dan said - thank God it didnt happen on the highway cause before you know it - blammo! bye bye engine.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The car is still dripping oil onto the kitty litter. I'll give it to saturday and foam the engine down with some dawn detergent and scrub the garage floor. I'll even try to clean the under of the car before I put the plastic panel back on.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Dude, to me that's good news. IT DIDN'T HAPPEN ON THE HIGHWAY! You still got a motor, albeit a dirty one!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Today brings a clean engine bay and under carriage. Put the bottom panel on. Did a good job. Engine bay looks nice and clean and I used a meat equipment foaming sanitizer gun with degreaser in it. Excellent piece of equipment. I use it with car wash soap to foam the whole car down and wash it thusly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Okay, came here looking for this exact topic, so I guess it's appropriate that my first post is in a newbie mistake thread.

I'm basically having this EXACT problem with the '07 I bought this week. The day I picked it up, the PO had "thoughtfully" had the oil changed at $%&*! Firestone that afternoon. Got the car home and found it dripping fresh oil from the splash pan. Naturally, they'd also overfilled it (it was still over the high mark on the dipstick, even after leaking). There was oil all over the place below the filter housing.

I pulled the top of the filter housing last night, and found the o-ring in the notch just above the threads. The replacement filter I bought (Mobil 1) came with two o-rings, a conventional round one and a wider, semi-flat version. I thought that maybe the wider version was supposed to go in the notch, but it's too wide. So, working on the assumption that using the smaller o-ring in the notch wasn't providing a proper seal, I seated the o-ring against the lip of the canister top and reassembled it.

I had an '07 S40 a couple years back, and also recall seating the o-ring against the top. Out of curiosity, I contacted the local Volvo-only repair shop, and they confirmed that they also use the o-ring in the upper position. So who's right? Does anyone have a link to pics of proper placement?

I really don't want to have to deal with any more oil leaks.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Use the conventional round ring. Flat is for another application, toss it. Better yet, use factory or OEM Mann filters only.
kaustein is correct. It does NOT go in the last slot against the lip. Second slot is where it belongs. You will notice the metal mousing is beveled at the top so an O-ring in that location is not properly compressed. Stolen image from stickies:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Use the conventional round ring. Flat is for another application, toss it. Better yet, use factory or OEM Mann filters only.
kaustein is correct. It does NOT go in the last slot against the lip. Second slot is where it belongs. You will notice the metal mousing is beveled at the top so an O-ring in that location is not properly compressed.
Yeah, just to update... I stopped by the Volvo dealership and talked to one of the techs, and he confirmed that the o-ring should go in the lower position. While I was there, I grabbed an OE Mann filter and o-ring, and replaced both. I did notice that the Volvo o-ring seems to be slightly thicker, and is definitely smaller diameter, than the o-ring that came with the aftermarket filter.

My current theory is that an improperly sized o-ring in combination with an overfilled engine was causing the leak. I guess we'll know for sure after my wife rolls home on the highway after work!

Thanks for the help-

jj

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My issue was that I over thought what I saw, the o ring one notch down from the top. It took some effort to get it out of the appropriate spot to move it to the inappropriate spot. What really perplexed me was why did it take so long to start to leak? Only think I can think of is that the filter cap loosened up.

Once I reinstalled it is the correct position, you could feel the o ring compress as I tightened it down.

So one may want to post something in a "how to" sticky confirming the correct o ring position.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I Guess one could mistake that looking at that Area .
Good Plan to get it all of the CV Joints and Timing Belt Cleaned Up .
Checked things out yesterday and all is fine. Maybe the oil film that still exist will be good when the road salt starts.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Correct, check the picture above. You can just barely see the o-ring in the second groove.

·
Registered
548 Posts
GRRR... Why isn't crap like this in the stickies?!?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts