SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, volvo only sells complete Prop shafts, or a CV rebuild for the front from what I've been able to find. My issue that I was tracking down thinking it was a bad half shaft ended up being my front center bearing on the prop shaft. I was able to pull it out of my car pretty quick and dropped it off at a local drive line service shop and am awaiting some news from them over the next few days. Figured I would throw a few questions out here to see if anyone had any insight.

Edit: Initial problem I was trying to diagnose was a rotational knock that occured normally at speeds below 35-40 (around 1800-2500RPM was when it would start.) It was getting significantly worse for my girlfriend so I garaged the car to give it a closer inspection, when I initially went to a bad CV axle, maybe passenger from where the noise sounded like it was coming from. Clicking or knocking noise contined reguardless of what direction I was turning during tests, and was fairly torque dependent. If I was very soft on the throttle, I could get away from the < 35 mph zone without hearing too much knocking. I was able to lift the entire prop shaft right above the downstream O2 sensor a few inches, allowing me to see the blow out in the center bearing.

1) This giant knuckle that looks like it might have a set screw, or a pin placed into one side that is in front of the center bearing -- anyone know what this even is? Anyone know if it comes apart or how? The shop I went to seemed a bit puzzled by it, Figured they could take a whack at it, because if they cant fix it, I need a new driveshaft to replace the torn bearing bushing...

V50 Prop Shaft Front Center Bearing - Damaged

2) Now that the propshaft is out, is there any way of turning this into FWD while I'm waiting on / raising money for a new drive line? I figured I could have a few caps made to cover where the driveline would connect to keep dirt and such out. Can we run FWD with removal of a fuse or something of the like? I know that it's possible with subarus, but unsure if the volvo will have a complete meltdown. I have a DiCE to clear any codes that might come up, not sure if there is anything else I should be aware of.

V50 Propshaft All

:mad:

Thanks for all the help :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would check colorado drive shaft for a rebuilt unit to pop in.
That was my next step if the local shop wasn't able to help me out. They called me at 0730 this morning and told me it was completed!

Hopefully it goes in vibration free. I need to jot around a bunch of Napa stores this afternoon to pick up new bolts for the joints, and then its going right in!

Was hoping someone might have some ideas about running it in FWD... Would be nice if this doesn't end up working.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Driveshaft issues seem fairly rare on the P1's... but I expect if you followed the XC70's forum you could find a tip on how to disconnect the haldex system via fuse.

Just curious - how much was the final bill?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Driveshaft issues seem fairly rare on the P1's... but I expect if you followed the XC70's forum you could find a tip on how to disconnect the haldex system via fuse.

Just curious - how much was the final bill?
$250.00. Took the shop some time to try and figure out how to disassemble the prop shaft, ended up cutting it on the shaft to slide the new bearing support on, and then rewelding and balancing. The shop owner lives right near my parents, so I've known him for some time, and knew that this was one of my only options, other than buying a refurbished shaft, or a new one.

Let you know how it works out, should hopefully be able to install it this evening.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
$250.00. Took the shop some time to try and figure out how to disassemble the prop shaft, ended up cutting it on the shaft to slide the new bearing support on, and then rewelding and balancing. The shop owner lives right near my parents, so I've known him for some time, and knew that this was one of my only options, other than buying a refurbished shaft, or a new one.

Let you know how it works out, should hopefully be able to install it this evening.
It's been installed for a few days now, no problems so far!! :p:beer:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts