SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just need to vent, but if anyone has anything to share, that would be great.

I was driving on a great Saturday morning with medium traffic on the freeway. Everyone was going about 60-65 mph. I was on the 3rd lane from the left and a truck carrying a sofa and other furniture was on the 4th lane from the left about 2 car lengths in front of me. Suddenly a gust of wind blew and I see a wall of crap spreading about 30 feet wide and 20 feet high in front of me. I swerved to try and avoid some of it, but a freaking 3 seat sofa smashed down onto my hood, fender, smashed my windshield, flipped on top of the roof, smashed my sunroof, and put a huge dent on the roof. The freakiing idiot didn't tie his load down on the truck so my new S60 T5 is wrecked. Fortunately, I didn't hit anyone in the process. My wife almost got seriously hurt or worse because a 2x4 smashed through the windshield and stop just 18" away from her face. Now we're without our new Volvo for at least 6 weeks and all this wasted time and headache dealing with the insurance company. We suffered some neck & back injury but at least we're alive.
The worst thing is that our new car is no longer new. Once it's wrecked, you can fix it but it's still not the same, it's still not new.
I'm extremely pissed off. For the laziness of some stupid idiot, we have to suffer for it. That freaking moron.
Thanks for letting me blow off some steam. Please feel free to comment or talk more trash about the idiot who wrecked my car.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by SN60:
I just need to vent, but if anyone has anything to share, that would be great.

I was driving on a great Saturday morning with medium traffic on the freeway. Everyone was going about 60-65 mph. I was on the 3rd lane from the left and a truck carrying a sofa and other furniture was on the 4th lane from the left about 2 car lengths in front of me. Suddenly a gust of wind blew and I see a wall of crap spreading about 30 feet wide and 20 feet high in front of me. I swerved to try and avoid some of it, but a freaking 3 seat sofa smashed down onto my hood, fender, smashed my windshield, flipped on top of the roof, smashed my sunroof, and put a huge dent on the roof. The freakiing idiot didn't tie his load down on the truck so my new S60 T5 is wrecked. Fortunately, I didn't hit anyone in the process. My wife almost got seriously hurt or worse because a 2x4 smashed through the windshield and stop just 18" away from her face. Now we're without our new Volvo for at least 6 weeks and all this wasted time and headache dealing with the insurance company. We suffered some neck & back injury but at least we're alive.
The worst thing is that our new car is no longer new. Once it's wrecked, you can fix it but it's still not the same, it's still not new.
I'm extremely pissed off. For the laziness of some stupid idiot, we have to suffer for it. That freaking moron.
Thanks for letting me blow off some steam. Please feel free to comment or talk more trash about the idiot who wrecked my car.
That stinks! I would feel as awful as you feel if this happened to me...We can trash that moron but that is not going to reverse the situtation. I assume that he stopped and the cops came, you got a favorable police report, etc...right?

DOn't feel that your car will never be the same. It does not seem (from the description) that your car has suffered frame damage...just make sure that go to the BEST body shop possible. That is very important. Do not settle for a lesser quality body shop, especially if someone promises you to have the car done sooner. I feel for you, hope all goes well! I know it is easy for me to say that but don't worry about the car, anymore. Imagine if you had suffered worse injuries and/or death...

Yannis

·
Registered
300 Posts
I can totally relate: a year and a half ago my '91 T-bird was shortened a full foot by a hit-and-run pickup on the 110/101 interchange in downtown LA; hence the purchase of my S60.

2 years before that, a gal planted her left front bumper into my right rear quarter panel on the 405, just past the 101 (in the same T-Bird) and the body shop fixed it no problemo. There was a HUGE hole in the side of the car, and with a new quarter panel it was good as new. But like Yannis says, be sure and get a good body shop.

The trick is going to be getting the sunroof to seal up again. As long as they get the roof metal back in the same shape it was in you should be OK, but it might take some time.

I hope the other guy's insurance is paying for all of this.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Wow, what a freak accident, and what a PITA. I was driving today behind a Ryder Truck with the back door open and 5 guys sitting in the back on milk crates and 1/4 load of furniture with no tie downs. We were on a major 4-lane highway in the DC area.

It's amazing what some people do... and just how stupid they can be.

Glad to hear nobody was hurt.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Glad to hear that you and your wife are okay, that is the most important thing right? You are right, there are a lot of total morons on the road and sometimes it is just impossible to avoid them all.

I hope all goes well with getting your car fixed. Just to relate to how you are feeling, when my parents owned their new 86' 740 GLE it was involved in about 6 accidents total in the span of 10 years of ownership. Each time the car was fixed, and I never felt that the car was compromised in any way. In the last accident, the car flipped over 3 times on the highway ended up on its roof and my dad and his co-worker crawled out the broken windows without a scratch.

You know, that is what these cars are made for. They take their own life/usefulness to save yours and your loved ones.

-Drew

·
Registered
111 Posts
Back when I was driving my 240 DL I got hit with what looked like a metal brick. It flew off the back of this beat up station wagon. I heard a loud impact and pulled over. The station wagon drove off and I was left on the side of the road with my left highbeam headlight totally smashed and 1/4 of the left side of the grill missing. It is ridiculous that people are allowed to drive around delapidated cars with parts falling off and they bear no responsibility for the havoc the wreak.Obviously folks transporting items dangerously, i.e. not tied down are equally irresponsible.

I say you guys were extremely lucky. Just saw some cable special on road garbage and the impact velocity of items when they smash into cars. They had a story of a teenage girl who got impaled by a 3 foot construction spike. It wnet right through her and pinned her into the passenger seat. It missed all her vital organs and she lived.

I wonder if bulletproof windshields would prevent these types of accidents? I also remember a story of some guy getting killed because some kids thought it would be a good idea to throw huge rocks off an overpass.

Maybe with a bulletproof windshield that 2x4 never would have made it into the passenger area of your car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone, for replying. I do feel alot better now. And you're all right, the important thing was, we're ok.

I have not doubt the body shop will do a great job since it was referred by the dealer. So once again, thanks for letting me vent and it's great to hear your support.

·
Registered
18 Posts
First off, glad you're OK. It is a pain now. I hope that you leased the Volvo, that way you can give it back in 3 to 4 years. The car is never the same. What really gets me upset is people like you and I and others take such good care of our vehicles and attempt to drive carefully, but because of the inconsideration of others on the road, we have to suffer. That guy probably thought, what's the big deal, the insurance company will look after it.

Sorry to hear about that!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts