SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Stumbled upon some great tires for cheap!

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  SteveP 
#1 ·
Got my hands on very elusive set of Falken Ziex ZE-329. I'm sure not too many people heard of this tire, Falken ZE-512 and ZE-912 are the ones being marketed in the states. The two mentioned above cost $115 and $118 per tire respectively where as I paid $72 per tire coming out to $328 shipped
Below is some background on the ZE-329

"The Falken Ziex ZE-329 is currently Falken Japan's #1 tyre in this class.

Falken US doesn't really want to talk about this tyre because it is easy to see that the ZE-329 uses better technology than the ZE-512. Falken US doesn't want the dilema of having to explain why they are going for volume over actually offering their top tyre. It's a classic choice with American tyre providers.

They also don't want to have to explain why Consumer Report magazine (boasting 100% unbiased reporting) could test and report the inferior tyre as the "BEST" tyre available. Apparently this would mess things up for both of them as they are both reaping huge dividends as a result of the Ziex ZE-51's tremendous success following the favorable Consumer Report review.

That being said, the ZE-329 has turned up better stats over the ZE-512. The ZE-512 began its legacy as a "long-lasting" "high performance" all season tyre. In actuality, it is quite a nice tyre but it should not be marketed as long lasting - it is not.

The ZE-329 has a superior silica-based tread compound that allows for longer life without sacrificing traction in weather and extends the "sweetness" of the rubber as the tyre ages maintaining traction levels.

The ZE-329 also has other subtle difference such as Falken's pattented rotation-divots (holes in the tread - can be seen in the picture above) which allow you to see when the tyre should be rotated as well as be able to see how the inside/outside wear is comparing.

The ZE-329 is also a non-directional tyre which makes it a more practical tyre. The ZE-512 can not be cross-rotated so you can not even out the wear by switching sides as you rotate.

If given the choice, the ZE-329 is the superior of the two tyres. It's too bad you will likely NOT be able to get them at MOST Falken dealers in North America."

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: Stumbled upon some great tires for cheap! (Denis)

Hopefully they aren't too old, if not, good find! http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

#4 ·
Re: Stumbled upon some great tires for cheap! (xman03)

I've run two sets of the 512 and one set of the FK-452 on my S70. I was very pleased with both the cost and performance of those tires. If the 329 is as good or better than that's awesome. Excellent price too!

#5 ·
Re: Stumbled upon some great tires for cheap! (BumpinVolvo)

Had the 512's for a relatively short period of time. They wore out fast, were noisy, and didn't have that great of a grip. You get what you pay for.

I'll take the Eagle F1's hands down!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.