SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So trying to remove my control arm since the bushings are bad and I got everything undone except for the rear bushing. Got the nut off but the bushing just tore and spins freely when I turn the bolt... Can't think of how to get it out. Any ideas? I can get pictures if needed.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
If the nut it off whack the bolt out. The bolts are use once and throw away.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Use a pry bar and wedge the tip of the pry bar in towards the engine and pry down on the end of the bolt with good pressure. Then try turning out the bolt.

·
Registered
445 Posts
The bolt is frozen inside the bushing ?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lol yeah it's loose, was on there cause I was trying a method of using a c clamp holding the nut on and using a socket on the bottom... Didn't work

·
Registered
445 Posts
Do you have enough access to cut the bolt where the sleeve is on both sides ?

You can also try to torch the old bushing to melt it and make it soft, it will be easier to pry, whack the bolt frozen in the sleeve out.

·
Registered
268 Posts
What I usually do when this happens (and it does happen a lot lately as the cars age) is use a pair of vice-grips to get in and snag the bushing sleeve tight, then use the impact to unscrew it. Note that you also need to use heat (use a torch) and get the bolts red hot. Even if it keeps spinning eventually the vice-grip will rip through enough of the bushing housing that it'll no longer be round and grip for good. Just keep tightening it until it jams in there.

Good luck

·
Registered
268 Posts
Sure there is, I did it last week.
Pry the control arm up or down (i forgot which gets more clearance) and stick the vicegrip onto the bushing. The arm bends enough, especially with the other bushing unbolted it'll just flop down and easily give you enough room to work.
Works for me.

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
I did this 2 weeks ago... All I had to do was remove the nut and whack the bolt out... Will the nut not come off?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sure there is, I did it last week.
Pry the control arm up or down (i forgot which gets more clearance) and stick the vicegrip onto the bushing. The arm bends enough, especially with the other bushing unbolted it'll just flop down and easily give you enough room to work.
Works for me.
Sorry. I meant not enough access to cut it off with my grinder

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
How did you whack the bolt?

Nut comes off

With a small sledge hammer. It's a use once bolt so who cares. Maybe you can use a prybar on the bottom to get it out. What I had trouble with was getting the ball joint of the LCA... Still have to replace one side because I couldn't get it out without trashing the balljoint and I didn't have the balljoint alignment tool...

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got it! Finally! Took me 3 hours of vice griping, torching, grinding, hammering, but it worked it's way out! Thank you guys, the vice grip idea was the best... Sucked, but was the best option.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts