SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A mechanic who I trust was replacing a boot and axle shaft and while doing so lost some transmission fluid. (Not sure how they’re all connected)He hadn’t worked on S40’s with MT and wasn’t expecting a loss of fluid. There is a special tool needed to access the hex bolt so he can replace the lost fluid but the bolt is frozen stuck and broke his special tool. He isn’t sure how much fluid was lost and overfilling is not recommended but driving with low fluid can be just as bad. Does anyone have any suggestions or ever had this problem?

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Drain it all out and replace with the specified amount through the drain plug. I`ve done it with a squeeze bottle and a felt washer to prevent leakage.

·
Banned
1,958 Posts
You may get it loose by spraying some wd40 on it and letting it soak over night. Or pb blaster. When you or him go to crack it loose make sure you have the proper socket so you don't strip it. And spray it clean first with brake cleaner so the socket doesn't slip.

If the wd40 doesn't work then you can pour some brake fluid on the bolt, that might help loosen whatever crud is on there, brake fluid is highly corrosive. Let it sit overnight. At the dealer we used to put brake fluid on old o2 sensors that were rusted on, to break them loose, for replacement.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
You can fill the trans through the detent plug on top of the shift assy, 24mm socket. Have to drain it all to make sure the correct amount is added.

How could he not know fluid would be lost when pulling an axle??? Its a Transaxle, not a transmission (as in typical RWD setup)

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Yes, what lookforjoe said.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
This is a pic of the detent & location on shifter (bottom right of pic - ignore other details this is from my old wagon, M66 but not P1) - it is essentially a large plug with a ball bearing pressed inside it that the shift gate rides against.

Shouldn't have to state the obvious, but tell them to make sure shifter is in neutral or it will be under tension.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
There is an additional detent on the drivers side towards the front of the trans. Will look just like the one in the photo above but dirty.
If you get under it you can see it towards the front of the car. If you pull it rather than the top one, you only need simple stuff (breaker bar and a 19mm if I recall correctly) and no extensions. From there you can put in a long piece of hose and fill in from on top of the car much easier as well - it's how i do my drain and fills now.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
A mechanic who I trust was replacing a boot and axle shaft and while doing so lost some transmission fluid. (Not sure how they’re all connected)He hadn’t worked on S40’s with MT and wasn’t expecting a loss of fluid. There is a special tool needed to access the hex bolt so he can replace the lost fluid but the bolt is frozen stuck and broke his special tool. He isn’t sure how much fluid was lost and overfilling is not recommended but driving with low fluid can be just as bad. Does anyone have any suggestions or ever had this problem?
You have to tilt the car to one side before removing the axle on manual transmissions to prevent fluid leak. Time to look for a mechanic that's familiar with Volvo otherwise it'll cost you in the long run.

How to Remove & Replace Front Axles on a P1 Volvo (C30/S40/V50/C70)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts