SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Parked the car at a parking lot today . . car went into steering wheel lock mode, so I performed the routine procedure which is to jiggle and turn the wheel and restart . . but it wouldn't budge . . tried disconnecting the battery and start up again but problem still persist. Has anyone had this kind of problem?? and is it common for S40s?? I hope it hasn't got anything to do with the immobilizer. Awkwardly, when I pull the key out, the message still appear on dash, but would fade out after a while. aaargh !

Btw when having the car towed do you guys require a flat bed tow truck that lifts the car onto the truck ? or a normal tow truck using the L bar ?

this has only occured 2x ever . . and I got it out of the lock the first time.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Re: Stuck in steering wheel lock mode! (al820)

My understanding is there is a small motor or solenoid that controls the lock. There may be a fuse for this. Have whomever takes a look at it check the motor/solenoid and the wiring.

·
Registered
9,124 Posts
Re: (jdsr917)

When you put the key in the SCU does the lock release... If not you may need a steering wheel lock. Replace quite a few in the last year or so. Either that or the SCU itself is faulty and not sending the signal to releas the lock. Good luck

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (ForceFed Motorsports)

Yeeup . . ended up replacing the lock. 31202262 Column Lock (steering wheel lock) then a SCL reload . . including labor everything came up $740 before tax. Holy hell . . . this was one expensive lesson for not having the wheels straightened out. They said they gotta replace a computer that's attached to the lock . . . and this is the only way for it to be done.

Oh yes, and two shear bolt amounting to $10.46.

Edit: $437.50 of which is labor, the Column lock itself is less than $200

Modified by al820 at 1:37 PM 5-15-2009

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (jdsr917)

Quote, originally posted by jdsr917 »
did u try pulling it to left holding it their hard and then turn key ......

yeaah it wouldn't respond . . i've allowed the car to roll a quite a bit and turned at least 270 but no use.

·
Registered
9,124 Posts
Re: (al820)

Dang thats a pricey one. Not the first ive seen thats for sure. Usually when we see a S40 towed in thats the first thing i think of. Otherwise we really never see tow ins for much other reasons. Even with a CEL they normally run good still lol.

I have a spare SCU i keep in the car, sounds stupid but when it fails and the key gets stuck in the ignition or the car wont start it may save my butt. Column lock is a fluke never know when it will fail or if it ever will. Too random.

Glad you got it all taken care of.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Stuck in steering wheel lock mode! (1SOUL)

Quote, originally posted by 1SOUL »
When towing, since you have a 2.4i, you do not require a flat bed.

I don't know . . I haven't done any lowering, just got the rims changed . . but it seemed awfully close to not have the flat bed. The reason why I ask is because the tow truck ppl said the stinger would be too close to the oil pan and they wouldn't want to risk it. Requiring the flat bed would obviously cost extra but i managed to talk my way out of it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts