SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Backed out of a parking spot the other day and my vR will not come out of reverse. The clutch is working fine, I can use the clutch as normal but only in reverse. The stick will not move! Turned it off, worked the clutch in and out, started it back up, still locked in reverse!!! I had to back down the aisle and back it into a parking spot. Pushed in the clutch and had it pulled up onto a trailer to get it home. Now I'm lost. I pulled the airbox and the trans. linkages are still intact, clutch is working, and the shift cable is moving the main cable on the tranny. Anyone ever have this problem??? Any help would be greatly appreciated. 05 vR, M66 manual transmission.

·
Super Moderator
8,734 Posts
I think a quick (just to get it where you need it to go) fix could be to disconnect the plug right behind the shifter. You would need to remove the shifter plate and possibly the console to access it. When I replaced my shifter base bushings I accidentally forgot to reconnect this plug and it would let me shift into and out of any gear (forward and reverse) without operating the clutch. This might be enough to at least get it to a shop.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks R-Pow, it's home now. Just wondering if anyone knew what may be the cause of this.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,734 Posts
Ah, indeed.

"WHY WON'T IT READ?!"

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Sounds like the lockout mechanism may be stuck holding it in reverse. You will need to pull the shift surround to inspect.

From my electronic gismo- Galaxy S6

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Unrelated to Volvos, but ironically the trans in my mustang just got stuck in reverse the weekend before last. I was just tuning the car... lightly loading it up and down the driveway. I put it back in the garage, shut it off and locked it into reverse. Then I went to start it up again in order to see how well my cranking settings were and I could not get the shifter out of reverse. Long story short, Tremec's apparently are known for this. I had to pull the trans out in order to get to an access panel just forward of the shifter. One of the gear selector mechanisms was stuck. A screwdriver and simple flick of the wrist dislodged it and it's working fine now. I hope it had something to do with the car sitting for so long and will not be a repeat occurrence. I cringe at the thought of R&Ring the trans again. My body simply can't take this like it could in my younger days. Hope it turns out to be a simple fix for you.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Schools been killing me lately. I opened the counsel and the tranny top. Cables look to be intact. When I move the sick the big knuckle in the tranny wants to move but the small lever on the tranny doesn't move at all. My knowledge of transmissions is little, I'm more of an engine guy. I was able to push on the big lever and get it to move out of reverse but when I let the clutch out it made a noise like it was hitting something. .... so I pushed the lever back into reverse.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,734 Posts
Maybe check the transmission end of the cables? Take photos and post them if you're not sure. Hopefully someone can help you out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts