SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize for bringing up such a heavily threaded subject, but I'm still not sure what the prognosis is.
Posting this in the S60 forum instead of the R forum because there are more of you and it seems an issue on multiple Volvo models =o)

05 S60R.
Here is what I've experienced:

• Start car in the morning, all seems normal.
  • Attempt to shift out of park, gate feels closed, it's not happening.
  • I turn the wheel lock to lock, center it, tap the brake, wiggle the shifter, still not happening.
  • Check engine light comes on.
  • I leave, come back an hour later, start the car with the other key and it comes out of park (check engine light is still on).
  • I try to first key and that works, too. Car appears to operate normally, but with a check engine light. Check engine light is now constant and after checking codes it says an ECM code is set.

Is this a switch, a sensor or a mechanical problem (the button itself)?
The presence of a DTC seemingly presents this as an electrical or sensor issue, unless it's a mechanical issue and something else also just happened at the same time as a pure coincidence.

Any advice appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Did you ever get an answer as my 2007 wouldn't come out of park this morning...to make matters worse it's parked in front of the garage door blocking in my wife's car.

Revision - OK, this is crazy as I went out there at noon after things have warmed up and everything functioned as normal. Cranked up and shifted freely into drive. I recall one or two experiences over the prior 2 weeks where it resisted shifting into drive but would successfully shift into drive after a bit of wiggling? I have noticed over the past 4-5 weeks that a warning message would occasionally appear to the effect of "traction control temporarily disabled". Other threads indicate that message could be anything from the front end out of alignment, faulty sensors, to unbalanced brake caliper pressure? Is it possible the difficulty shifting out of neutral is something electrical / computer controlled and not mechanical?

Surely this isn't a problem unique only to my T60?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Stuck in park again this morning after working fine yesterday afternoon - very odd. Cool, but not cold enough to freeze. Must be something contracting with the cooler temperatures? Next time I'm going to leave the car running and turn on the heater to see if warming up the inside of the vehicle does the trick.

·
Registered
76 Posts
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16995

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?10599-01xc-Stuck-in-Park-until-it-gets-warm

Couple of threads from other forums on this topic...still hard to wrap my mind around the logic of the failure. Appears to ether be the shift lock solenoid or the brake light sensor but determining which one on an intermitted cold start will be very difficult? Does anyone know if the shift lock solenoid is on the shifter itself or inside the console wired over to the shifter?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Stuck in park again this morning...41 degrees outside. Cranked her up and let her idle for 7-8 minutes running the heater. Got back in and it was just starting to warm up inside - not toasty at all. Shifted fine. Makes me want to think the brake light sensor as it would have had gotten quicker access to the heat? The shift lever wasn't warm to the touch yet?

·
Registered
17,443 Posts
Any updates overall (plus the shift lock)? Still amazed at what you got accomplished with this car after the wreck.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Repair has been I moved the Jeepster to the basement and started parking the S60 in the garage....expect this to resurface as winter arrives. I'm betting its the brake light switch on the brake pedal but as I've got spare transportation I don't want to work on an intermittent problem. When it gets good and cold outside I plan on taking a heat gun to warm just the brake light switch to see if that indeed is the lone problem.

I'm surprised no one else has experienced this problems? Seems too unusual to not be a known issue.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Been away busy for a bit. The not coming out of park wasn't an issue through the holidays in east TN as temperatures were unseasonably warm. Now there back down to norm and the problem reoccurred. I'd been thinking it was the electrical solenoid in the shifter or the brake light switch on the brake pedal. What I've determined is that system is working fine and the problem is in the linkage between the key and the shifter. There is a cable linkage that runs from the shifter up to the ignition key and mine appears to be operating stiffly when cold which is keeping the shifter stuck in park and also prevents removing the key from the ignition when I turn the vehicle off. Any suggestions, ideas, experiences, or diagrams that might help?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts