SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have an '07 V70R GT that I've for 3 years. 81K miles. I did a pretty hard search for this problem, but I didn't find anything that describes this exactly:

I never noticed the shifter action to be dodgy before, but after I put it away for the winter last Nov, I realized I couldn't get it out of Park. It's in my garage, I figured I'd worry about it in the Spring.
Other things got in the way, so I'm just back at it now. Nothing I do with the key position or the brake pedal seems to have any effect. I Googled the interwebz when it first happened, and I found a DIY somewhere
that described an identical problem, and how the guy fixed it. I should have saved it but didn't, and now I can't find it :rolleyes: But basically he got the metal surround and the cover plate and boot off, which exposed the linkage. He doused the plastic linkage really good with Windex foaming window cleaner and blew it off. That got everything working and solved the problem.
At least that's how I remember it, but I didn't want to start disassembling until I ran this by the experts. It sounds like this is a common problem, whatever the model, but often has to do with the shift interlock.
I'm not sure this does in this particular instance.

·
Registered
144 Posts
There is a shift interlock cable that can get sticky. If you clean that and the arm you should be ok. Be careful cause it can brake easily if you force it. If you remove the shifter surround and the drivers side lower console cove you can get at it real easily

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
275 Posts
Bearclaw,

I had the same issue with my XC70. There is a white square plastic thing where I show in the picture below. You need to remove the side panel on driver side to get to it, once you locate it, move that thing up or down, you should be able to shift it.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
This maybe:

Part Number Part Name Price Quantity Total
9463559 Rocker Arm $10.49 1 $10.49

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Mine did that a few times over the winter when I would first get in it in the mornings. Each time it finally shifted out after about 10 minutes and a little fiddling around with the shifter. Maybe I need to clean mine.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
It’s broken Barry just sell it to me and save my left knee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,202 Posts

Your not liking that 3rd peddle?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks one and all! Gonna dig into it again this weekend :)

So Tony, let me get this straight: that's a low-mile '07 MT Sonic, California car? 🤯
Shoot, that sounds like a great straight-up trade! 🤣

There's nothing, uh, "influencing" this offer, is there?
🥃🥃🥃🥃🥃🥃🍸🍸🍸🍸🍸🍸😄

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mine did that a few times over the winter when I would first get in it in the mornings. Each time it finally shifted out after about 10 minutes and a little fiddling around with the shifter. Maybe I need to clean mine.
Funny you should mention that. There's a girl on YouTube who actually has three pretty extensive videos about getting stuck, and how she disassembled the console.
She also talked about how she could get hers to work when it first started acting up in December by warming up the cabin for 15 minutes. Time-consuming, but she could get it going that way.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Your not liking that 3rd peddle?
My dislike of the R third pedal is well known in the community. Lol

So Tony, let me get this straight: that's a low-mile '07 MT Sonic, California car?
Shoot, that sounds like a great straight-up trade!

There's nothing, uh, "influencing" this offer, is there?
I’m on second (this exact glass: ) of AOC’s “girabaldi spritz” made with an extra shot of beefeater rn but I know my knee hurt so badly after an hour in LA traffic this afternoon...

Hope you get your “G”reat “T”ransmission fixed this weekend

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Funny you should mention that. There's a girl on YouTube who actually has three pretty extensive videos about getting stuck, and how she disassembled the console.
She also talked about how she could get hers to work when it first started acting up in December by warming up the cabin for 15 minutes. Time-consuming, but she could get it going that way.
Yepper it was temps in the teens when mine would do it.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I fixed this on an 03 xc70 a while back and it's still working. Not only do you need to clean it and lube it but you can also adjust the cable a little at the yellow barrel. It has to push the yellow far enough to disengage the lock consistently so you may want to check that out.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just encountered "stuck in park" on daughter's 2004 S60 T5. You Tube video from woman in New England has good evplaination. I cleaned rod and threaded yellow barrel adjuster of all the accumulated sticky residue. I also adjusted the barrel a little. It seemed to remedy the problem. Hoever since this car does not have "concours" quality I made a hole in the plastic console opposite the yellow adjuster. Now you can stick finger in and push the adjuster to the rear. Then shift where you need.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts