SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not have any first hand experience with aftermarket shocks on a P2, only P80s.

Is anyone running Bilstein Tourings on a FWD P2 and if so, what size tires and wheels do you have...so the big question is...how is the ride?
Not a big choice here, no Koni Sports available, only their PIA cut-a-strut so it's basically Konis (for a performance strut) or nothing, (back to OEM).

I do not want anything too stiff :rolleyes: and my recollection of Bilsteins are that they were very choppy when cold and still a hair choppy when warmed up.
i am NOT going to lower it, just install ipd sway bars (they should not make any difference to the ride quality) and in the Spring add 17" wheels which WILL also add to the stiffness.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I'm also interested to hear how the TCs ride. I wanted them at first to tighten up the handling but after I did the ghetto chassis braces, I'm completely happy with the handling and ride with the stock Sachs.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Cut a strut is actually super simple, get junkyard struts, drill one hole to drain the oil, saw the top off just above the weld, drill 1/2" hole in the bottom, wash and paint for rust prevention. Drop in strut, tighten bolt, done. Obviously not as simple as "replace strut" but still, it's not that bad.

My only experience is Koni FSDs and they are a fantastic combination of ride quality and performance.

Sorry this isn't directly related to your question.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Jim is the one that got me brave enough to buy cut-a-struts. Funny how he is shying away from them now. I think the FSDs are the way to go. I have NEVER heard one bad word about them no matter the platform or model they are on.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
It probably also helps that I had access to a 12" fiber wheel chop saw that went through the entire strut, guts and all, in about 3 seconds. Shake the junk out, done.

I should start buying struts from the junkyard and prep them for cut-a-strut, and sell them here. I wonder if there's really a market.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jim is the one that got me brave enough to buy cut-a-struts. Funny how he is shying away from them now. I think the FSDs are the way to go. I have NEVER heard one bad word about them no matter the platform or model they are on.
Not me!
As for FSDs ipd said those too are "Cut a Struts"

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Yes they are, but cutting the strut body is basically a 5 minute job plus cleanup.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
we have the tcs on the v40, very stiff. stock springs , stock tires, very stiff after 50k miles old.

the stock shocks on the '12 s60 seem to be tc's too, very stiff.

i saved the struts from our v70 for just the reason to use them for the fsd set up.

i think Lloyd has the best perspective on this.

best of luck with the decision, i will go with the fsd's if we keep the car.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Different car.
A old V40 is basically a Mitsubishi

1 - 9 of 9 Posts