SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a look at the top of my strut towers today on our Florida-based S60 and the pass side now has a decent amount of rust developing at the top. Some reading suggests that this may be terminal. Has anyone dealt with this in a cost effective manner. Don’t think it’s at the point yet where it’s a structural issue but that timeline is not that far off. F’ing heck.

2002 V70XC, 2003 V40, 2004 S60, 2010 V70

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
I've heard of Volvos being scraped for that issues, but most are from Quebec. If it's just a bit rusty I see nothing wrong with it, but something should be done to keep it from getting worse.

·
Registered
2001 V70 T5 2.3
30 Posts
I replaced both front struts and shocks a few months ago. Got mine from Detroit axle but the process wasn’t too bad. Watch the video from a1-auto on how to swap them out. If I remember correctly I used two jack stands, a 19mm and an 18mm. A good set of vice grips would be helpful. I believe the nuts on the top were 10mm. Oh, and a crow bar to loosen stubborn ball joints.

The below video was for a 2001 v70 but just do a google search for your year and model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks fellas, here are some pics. One looks fine, other looks like it needs to be kept in check ASAP.

Reactions: Plurge

·
Registered
2001 V70 T5 2.3
30 Posts
Oh wow, yeah just ignore my post...may need an exorcist instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
You got you a parts car. That is terminal.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What about if I went to yard and managed to cut the hats off two fresh looking towers - do you think a body shop could weld them in with sufficient accuracy for an alignment shop to do their thing?

BTW: the goop is just me spraying Fluid Film on there in a futile effort to slow the process down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
533 Posts
To abuse Hamlet:

"Get thee to a welder!"

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Strut towers can be replaced. They are spot welded. Just drill out the welded spots on the donors, bring them to a good welder and he'll be able to do it. I saw that work successfully done in EU.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Holy heck. You taking that S60 out in the water for regular salt baths? So glad mine had been an AZ car until 2018. Sucks to be suddenly aware I might not be driving it 15 years from now.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
In AZ scientists count rust as a fifths state of matter that does not naturally exist and can only be recreated in lab.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Strut towers can be replaced. They are spot welded. Just drill out the welded spots on the donors, bring them to a good welder and he'll be able to do it. I saw that work successfully done in EU.
Thanks, VTL. I was thinking along similar lines. Was going to drop by a body shop who is game to try and then try to think of how to chop some off in a local yard without too much trouble (including not having struts fly up at me!).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Why would you go through the troubles of replacing a rusted structural element with one from junk yard car? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Why would you go through the troubles of replacing a rusted structural element with one from junk yard car? :rolleyes:
Because normally it does not rust. My donor body from 2005 has 265k miles and zero rust there. Lived in New England from day one.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I opted for a bit of “cancer chemotherapy”.

Turns out condo won’t allow me to work on car on site. Happened to spot a young kid painting his wheels in his driveway and offered him $100 to allow me to have my car sit in his yard for a couple of days.

I used a grinder to take rust off and then sprayed some rust converter on there for good measure. Then I decided it would be nice if engaged the services of a welder to affix a metal plate on the worse side. Found a fellow online out of Tampa who was willing to drive down and do the work for $400. Bit of a premium but heck, struts were off and he was willing to come down On the spot. He was able to fill in the one side with new material but opted for a plate on the other. I figure I’ve given the old girl another 5 years...

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I really hope you took CEM, ECM and TCM out. CEM is in especially close proximity to the welding area. These modules being fried while welding is not something unheard of.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Doh! Well time will tell. Luckily he spent most of his time on the drivers side so hopefully no harm done.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts