SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replaced the strut tower mounts on my R today. The passenger side was completely shot and that same side wont seem to level out properly once I bolt down the replacement bushing with the cross bolt. The end of the spring at the top is properly seated in the groove. Could the spring itself be causing this?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Spring is upside down? Nah maybe not.. spring is a little warped, looks funky.. It will level up more when loaded but from the pictures it looks extreme.

·
Registered
701 Posts
It doesn't look like you have the end of the coil butted up to the stop in the top spring seat. That is required otherwise the top coil will not sit properly in the seat plus the spring will rotate when the strut rotates during a turn usually causing a clunk.

Cheers,

Bill

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It doesn't look like you have the end of the coil butted up to the stop in the top spring seat. That is required otherwise the top coil will not sit properly in the seat plus the spring will rotate when the strut rotates during a turn usually causing a clunk.

Cheers,

Bill
Ill pull it off completely and reseat it again to make sure but everything looks good from underneath. Ill update soon. Thanks for the replies

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Something was not align properly during assembly. I saw it happen before. Doing it again is the fix.
It is near impossible to get a spring that worked fine before to deform without some huge event and you not noticing it. Usually other stuff breaks very badly if you get to deform the spring.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Something was not align properly during assembly. I saw it happen before. Doing it again is the fix.
It is near impossible to get a spring that worked fine before to deform without some huge event and you not noticing it. Usually other stuff breaks very badly if you get to deform the spring.
reassembled and triple checked everything with the same outcome. Brought a spare strut/spring to swap springs to rule that out but I noticed it's exactly the same on the spare strut assembly as well. I'm pretty sure the strut towers are original on my spare

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
If it matches the untouched one, I'm gonna guess it's a optical illusion of some sort. It would be really odd to have 2 fail just alike.

If it were a couple of weeks from now, I'll have mine off to swap and compare.

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It doesn’t look right at all. Do you have the washer under the spring seat?
The washer that holds the rubber to keep the dust boot from falling? Yes. I've literally taken it apart and put it back together 4 times now, made sure nothing is missing, made sure all the coil ends are properly seated. Even tried leaving a half an inch between the coil spring end and spring seat but it had no effect. I have a couple more part out struts to compare.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If it matches the untouched one, I'm gonna guess it's a optical illusion of some sort. It would be really odd to have 2 fail just alike.

If it were a couple of weeks from now, I'll have mine off to swap and compare.

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk
That's what I was thinking. I positioned the struts identically next to each other and they have the same exact angle at the same exact point. I'm going to bring a 3rd strut tomorrow and compare. Maybe it levels out under the load of the car? Maybe this is was caused the premature failure of the spring seat to begin with..

·
Registered
649 Posts
It's been almost a year since I did mine. They didn't look like that. Could it be a case of swapped sides? Are the springs side dependent? Upside down is another good guess.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's been almost a year since I did mine. They didn't look like that. Could it be a case of swapped sides? Are the springs side dependent? Upside down is another good guess.
I don't believe they are side dependent because my new pair are identical and have the same part numbers for both sides unless FCP Euro screwed up on the kit.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I don't believe they are side dependent because my new pair are identical and have the same part numbers for both sides unless FCP Euro screwed up on the kit.
I didn't think they were, but you never know. I like doing business with FCP, but nobody is perfect, all the time. I'm not saying they did, but that sounds plausible.

·
Registered
701 Posts
No, there are no side-to-side differences on the front struts or rear shocks. Now springs? Yes, as the rears are different in some configurations like #40 which My R has to compensate for driver and battery weight.

Cheers,

Bill

·
Registered
527 Posts
They go out because they are a joke. The whole mounting is loose as a goose. In advanced its critically damped and all the weight of the car is on the strut and strut mounting. Which is a rubber bushing so it blows out eventually. Then when you turn caster angles change and it just torques right on that rubber as well.

With the spring unloaded it will put the mount at an angle cause thats the way the spring is cut. Think about it as soon as you apply load, the end of the spring will compress first making it go level.

Install them, if you still have a crazy angle when installed, then your subframe is shifted and the caster could be off.. Are the springs eibach or what?

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Is spring compressed in the picture? It does look off for sure. I am assuming you have the strut mount washer installed. Here is s picture of mine when I did them. My pics aren’t as close up. Not sure if it will help you figure anything out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts