SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been enjoying my V90CC but felt the front end could be tighter. I first started to notice it when the wheel would hit man hole covers or in corners on mtn roads. The suspension would shudder, skip or roll more than I'd like. In the past I've contributed this to either poorly tuned OEM struts (compression too stiff on initial impact), low profile tires, and/or strut towers that flexed too much (chassis not being stiff enough). Not to get into a long debate (the placebo effect) but in my past vehicles I've found that a strut tower brace solves some of the suspension issues while keeping the stock suspension intact.

The results were immediately positive. Here are my impressions:

1. Front chassis stiffened significantly which was a complete surprise. I had not expected to make any difference in general feel.
2. Steering feel increased. More positive and feels more connected to the road.
3. Car is definitely more planted in spirited driving. Feels more solid and inspires more confidence in the corners. Losses that float feeling and being pulled in mid-corner.
4. Small bumps transfers more evenly. You loose the shudder when one wheel hits a bumps. DEFINITELY more solid.

I could not be more pleased what an actual difference it has made in day-to-day driving. The steering feels stiffer and there is less chassis flex with suspension movement. The ladder was the main goal to install the brace.

I am sure the strut brace may cause some bushings to wear quicker (as a result of a stiffened chassis) but I'd rather have a tight chassis allowing the suspension to bare the load.

It was an easy fix and affordable solution to tighten the feel, plus it only took 15 minutes to install. I see that the new 2019 S60 T8 Polestar come with a strut tower brace from the factory....which tells me there was room for improvement in the SPA Chassis.

I am now going to install a rear sway bar from KC-Designs...a 24MM (solid) versus OEM 22MM (hollow) while keeping the stock air-suspension and 4C.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I have been very pleased with the V90CC but felt the front end could be tighter. I first started to notice it when the wheel would hit man hole covers. The suspension would shudder or skip a little. In the past I've contributed this to either poorly tuned struts (compression too stiff on initial impact from OEM), low profile tires, and strut towers that flexed to much (chassis not being stiff enough). Not to get into a long debate (the placebo effect) but in my past vehicles I've found that a strut tower brace has solved some of the suspension issues while keeping the stock suspension intact.

The results were immediately positive. Here are my impressions:

1. Front chassis stiffened significantly which was a complete surprise. I had not expected to make any difference.
2. Steering feel increased. More positive and feels more connected to the road.
3. Car is definitely more planted in spirited driving. Feels more solid and inspires more confidence in the corners. Losses that float feeling which you constantly need to readjust the steering while in mid-corner.
4. Small bumps transfers more evenly. You loose the shudder when one wheel hits a bumps. DEFINITELY more solid.

I could not be more pleased what an actual difference it made in day-to-day driving. The steering feel is stiffer and there is less chassis flex with suspension movement.

I am sure the strut brace may cause some bushings to wear quicker (as a result of a stiffened chassis) but it is well worth the negatives.

Easy fix for a relatively affordable up-grade that took only 15 minutes to install. I see that the new 2019 S60 T8 Polestar come with a strut tower brace from the factory....which tells me there was room for improvement in the SPA Chassis.

I am now going to install a rear sway bar from KC-Designs which is a 24MM (solid) versus OEM 22MM (hollow) while keeping the stock air-suspension and 4C.
I'm also curious which strut tower brace you went with.

And for that 24mm solid sway bar, I'm curious if you plan to somehow reinforce the attachment points?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
And for that 24mm solid sway bar, I'm curious if you plan to somehow reinforce the attachment points?
I haven't looked into the fine details. I probably would want beefier end links but will end up staying with the OEM until they wear. New bushings and brackets come with the bar but you use the OEM end links and some modifications to the existing bracket.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Wondering if this fits into the same category as "washing a car makes it perform better". Personally I haven't noticed any of the issues you mention. But though I drive through enough twisties and potholes in Maine to reveal flex in the frame, I also tend not to do much "spirited" driving. (Ocean Race with 20" wheels). If it seems to work for you, all the better.

·
Registered
226 Posts
not an expert in suspension, by any stretch, but wondering about this:

2019 S60 T8 Polestar - comes with an ALUMINUM strut tower brace matched to the Ohlins shock
2017+ s90/v90/v90cc KC-Designs - 304 STAINLESS STEEL tower brace; (from Viva Performance site) 100% compatible with factory suspension components, ideal for road race applications, or for spirited drivers with modified street vehicles

1. aluminum flexes more than stainless steel - so wondering why this brace is stiffer than the polestar variant
2. what does "modified street vehicles" mean in the context of this use?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts