SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeing as my car is getting on 25 years old I thought it would be time to replace the struts and springs in front. I am looking for pretty much stock ride height and shock damping so perhaps I should just go OEM, which is probably Sachs? When I did the rear shocks a few years ago I used Bilstein Touring. I would appreciate any recommendations from the group. Thanks!

·
Registered
17,314 Posts
Sachs

·
Registered
13,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
17,314 Posts
Thanks. Where do I source the springs from or should I just re-use what's there? They seem fine but are 25 years old now.
R springs? Everything R and T5 seem to be lasting quite nicely it’s the base soft springs that are crushing and getting harsh.

·
Registered
13,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
R springs? Everything R and T5 seem to be lasting quite nicely it’s the base soft springs that are crushing and getting harsh.
Yes, I have the R springs. I guess I will just re-use the ones I have. I really have no complaints about ride and handling. Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
how do you generally know when springs are shot? I have an R that I'm slowly restoring and the front driver's side sags... I assume the strut is kaput but what's the sure fire way to check?

·
Registered
13,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
how do you generally know when springs are shot? I have an R that I'm slowly restoring and the front driver's side sags... I assume the strut is kaput but what's the sure fire way to check?
The only way I know would be if it sags.

Just this morning I replaced the struts on this car - used the IPD quick strut kit which includes pretty much everything you need assembled - really easy for an inexperienced shade tree guy like myself. With their sale a short time ago they cost $450 for the pair delivered.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts