SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its time to replace shocks and struts. Not interested in lowering it (too much snow here in breckenridge) and am pretty happy with ride quality. 05 V50 T5 AWD

The only thing on ipd is bilstein for $280 each on the front, and nothing for shocks in the rear.

Does anyone know who the OEM supplier is? Anyone have a good retailer for parts? I'll also be doing front brakes at the same time, looking at drilled rotors and ceramic pads. Any advice or recommendation would be great!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't find any parts for a V50 at fcpgroton. Where has anyone purchased replacement struts / shocks for your volvo?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UPDATE - I tried the monroe OE spectrum for about 500 miles - they sucked! fronts were slightly stiff, but the rears were very harsh - even with gear in the back and 2 adults!

oh well - they were about 200 cheaper than volvo parts, and i had Les Schwab do the work. They have a lifetime satisfaction / warranty for both parts and labor. So all i had to do was pay the difference in part costs, and the work (including alignment) was done for FREE.

Here's a shameless plug for Les Schwab - I've been using them in washington state before moving back to colorado (they just opened about 4 stores in denver) Scott at the one on federal blvd was awesome to work with.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
UPDATE - I tried the monroe OE spectrum for about 500 miles - they sucked! fronts were slightly stiff, but the rears were very harsh - even with gear in the back and 2 adults!

oh well - they were about 200 cheaper than volvo parts, and i had Les Schwab do the work. They have a lifetime satisfaction / warranty for both parts and labor. So all i had to do was pay the difference in part costs, and the work (including alignment) was done for FREE.

Here's a shameless plug for Les Schwab - I've been using them in washington state before moving back to colorado (they just opened about 4 stores in denver) Scott at the one on federal blvd was awesome to work with.
so did you end up just getting oem volvo shocks?

also, how many miles did you have on your car?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep - back to oem, glad i did it.
not sure the total miles on the shocks, i bought it at 116k, and it has about 133k on it now!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Totally agree the Monroe struts and shocks are crap - think I paid about $400 total at Sears - I'm a dumbass for going this route. Will go with Sachs OEM on my 1998 v70 GLT.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Volvo OE struts/shocks or if you really want to treat your car to something special...Bilstein. I just had Bilstein struts done on the front with new bearings and seats, and it feels great. Not sure how to describe this, but they feel "smarter" when going over different bumps. And handling is very good as well.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Just install KYB on the front of my 2004 V70 and they really jar the car on big bumps. Not happy with them at all. Wish I had gone with OEM

·
Registered
386 Posts
Second take on my KYB post above. I have put about 500 miles on the new KYBs and they are riding a lot better now. I am happy with them and the price.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts