SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help figuring out how to remove the struts on a 2011 S60. I have a failed strut mount bearing on my passenger side. I picked up the parts and started the dis-assembly to pull the strut out so I can replace the bearing but am unable to pull the strut out.

Here were my steps. What am I missing?
-Pulled wheel off
-Removed brake line from strut
-Removed sway bar link
-Removed main strut bolt

There is not enough downward motion on the control arm to pull the strut out. Do I need to remove the control arm or lower the sub frame (is that even possible)? Does this require removing the cv joint and brakes?

What am I missing?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,506 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Those are HUGE PITA!!

I use a "come along winch" to pull and hold the control arm down enough to get clearance to remove the strut.

I've found that I can loop a chain around the control arm, attach one hook of the come along to that chain and the other hook to the subframe at the opposite wheel and ratchet it down. Then squirt some PB Blaster or WD 40 between the steering knuckle and the strut, then work the strut out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I ended up taking it in to the dealer. Charged me $330 (CAD) labour which included an alignment. Lifetime warranty on those parts replaced (which should have never failed in the first place).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts