SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help figuring out how to remove the struts on a 2011 S60. I have a failed strut mount bearing on my passenger side. I picked up the parts and started the dis-assembly to pull the strut out so I can replace the bearing but am unable to pull the strut out.

Here were my steps. What am I missing?
-Pulled wheel off
-Removed brake line from strut
-Removed sway bar link
-Removed main strut bolt

There is not enough downward motion on the control arm to pull the strut out. Do I need to remove the control arm or lower the sub frame (is that even possible)? Does this require removing the cv joint and brakes?

What am I missing?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
15,179 Posts
Spray some PB blaster or WD40 around the base of the strut. Do the S60s have bolts on the back of the strut slot that clamp it to the base? It'll take some force, but you can get the control arm to move enough. I physically had to stomp on the control arm on my S40 to get it to come loose. A few cars that I've worked on only took a light tap with a hammer to break things loose.

Make sure you leave the upper strut bolts connected when you're doing this. The idea is to free the strut from the base, not make the whole thing move down.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I know that this thread is getting old but in case someone does a forum search in the future, I'd like to add my 2 cents about front strut removal...

Don not force the control arm down to get the strut out. This badly stresses linkage on the half axle.
Instead, remove the axle bolt on the hub. This allows you to get additional control arm drop AND you're not stressing the axle.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts