SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Strut mounts

2K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  Cjones16 
#1 ·
Both front strut mounts failed almost at the same time in my car, and spectacularly. The strut shaft ends popped up completely and hit the hood. Interestingly, the car drove surprisingly well with virtually no shock absorption. I did not even notice until I opened the hood for something else. I suspected struts though because of knocking over bumps. The mounts were Volvo OEM, with almost exactly 30k miles on them.

I'm so tired of the "sporty" ride that once my new mounts arrive from IPD, I'll swap the Eibachs back to stock springs...

This car's giving me too much grief this week: Rear ending, power steering groan (low fluid), leaking radiator, intermittent gas smell from fuel pump, struts...

#3 ·
Chances are, if you didnt notice the ride and noise of those broken strut mounts, they have been trashed for a while. You just rode them until that quit entirely.

Also, why do you think that suspension components are always recommended in pairs? They go through the same daily grind as each other their entire lives....

#4 ·
Re: Strut mounts (Mika)

Quote, originally posted by Mika »
intermittent gas smell from fuel pump
Aw hell. You just reminded me of the fact that I have smelled gas in my car approximately twice now, but a few weeks apart (and not for a while). God damn. Maybe my fuel pump is on its way out...

#7 ·
- These were OEM mounts. Upgraded ones did not exist yet when I changed these on. They lasted exactly as long as expected.

- I had a reservation for fuel pump replacement (under warranty), but I canceled until the smell is not intermittent anymore. I don't have time for another 'can't replicate' right now.

#9 ·
Re: (tabasco)

I don't know how good either of those mounts are; the design looks good but I don't know if a significant number of customers have run them tens of thousands of miles in S60. Can't be any worse than the standard mounts, I would think.

#10 ·
Re: (Mika)

After I put Eibachs on my car I got about 2,500 miles on the car before I had to replace the Mounts,

I went with the IPD they have a warranty and have engineering behind them for Lowering springs

But if your going back to stock springs I would just go back to stock Mounts unless you know those will give you problems

#11 ·
Re: (Mika)

Quote, originally posted by Mika »
- These were OEM mounts. Upgraded ones did not exist yet when I changed these on. They lasted exactly as long as expected.

- I had a reservation for fuel pump replacement (under warranty), but I canceled until the smell is not intermittent anymore. I don't have time for another 'can't replicate' right now.

I believe you can replace the pump yourself or have an independent shop perform the work, and Volvo will still cover the cost. I don't know where I put my notice from Volvo, but I believe that was what was on the letter.

#12 ·
Re: (Paysts)

Quote, originally posted by Paysts »

I believe you can replace the pump yourself or have an independent shop perform the work, and Volvo will still cover the cost. I don't know where I put my notice from Volvo, but I believe that was what was on the letter.

That is correct, I had mine replaced before the letter came out and Volvo sent me a check to cover the repair costs

#13 ·
Now that the discussion is back off topic... (It took all of my will-power to not drive it further so myself!)

I'm not seeing any recalls for the fuel pump other than one for just residents of Arizona and Nevada...
Can anyone point me in the direction of one which would cover my Pennsylvanian car?

#16 ·
Re: (StarmanDXE)

Lol, Ive thought about putting a open gas can in my car for a few days and then taking it in complaining about the fuel odor

- I talked to my local dealership and they said it would be $160 for them to inspect the pump for warranty, but then if the pump would be replaced I wouldn't pay anything

#17 ·
Re: (Cjones16)

Ha! Yeah. I was just thinking the same thing... Maybe pour a little on the back seat carpets

$160, eh? Well, I've still got time (3 years and ~35k miles). I guess I'll wait and see if I have any more issues and, if it doesn't break by the end of the warranty, wager the $160 for them to test it... (Or just start driving around with 1/4 tank so that there isn't much/enough gas to cool the motor
)

#18 ·
Re: (Cjones16)

Quote, originally posted by Cjones16 »

- I talked to my local dealership and they said it would be $160 for them to inspect the pump for warranty, but then if the pump would be replaced I wouldn't pay anything

THIS^

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.