SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished installing an OMP strut tower brace on my 850. Whie I was filing the holes out to fit it (easy but very tedious), I started thinking about the effect that the brace might have on the "crashworthiness" of the front end. I almost don't want to ask this, but here goes-has anyone had any experience with a strut braced car with respect to a frontal or front offset crash? It occurs to me that putting this brace on the towers probably changes the way the front end moves/crushes/etc during a frontal or front offset crash, and I am wondering if those changes are better or worse than without a brace. Since Volvo makes their own strut brace for the 850/70 series cars, they may have actually crash tested a car with one of the braces on it. Anyone know?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have an omp too...

I think that if you get into, even a small frontal crash..the front may twist up......I remember someone saying it happened to them.....

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I have no experience with this, but...

The bolts should shear off if the strut tower moves in a way that would stress the brace.

The 240 series has upper chassis braces that tie the strut tower to the firewall. On the bolt connecting the brace to the firewall, there is a spacer that is supposedly used to deflect the brace away from the firewall in the case of an accident.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Because a strut tower brace is designed to stiffen a car in the lateral dimension, and more specifically, in the engine compartment, I wouldn't imagine it would be cause for alarm. You might end up with more damage for a given accident (i.e. if you get T-boned in the front, the brace could transfer crash energy to the other side of the car that would otherwise be dissipated as chassis flex), but you're talking a very small chance. I don't see any chance that the brace would compromise passenger safety.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
its actully better too have the brace there. for the car that is..it stiffens the front end and it keeps everything in position.if the car is hit at a high speed the brace will either bend or the bolts will sheer..
the ocupents will be fine but rember that a car is ment to crumpal to reduse the severty of the collision. if the car was solid you would have severe wip lash..summary--the opposite tower holds the ajacent tower in place at low speed crashes and at high speed ,it would move the hole front end across or bend the brace..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts