SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if a strut bar would really make any noticeable diffrence in handling on my c30 in daily driving. I found one for 75 bucks and thought it was a good deal. I have never been one to have one of these, but I thought it would be worth a shot for the price.

Does anyone know where they can find one cheaper? Also do these bars cause stress on parts of the car and cause them to wear faster?

thanks for any replies.

·
Registered
656 Posts
What's your current suspension set up? If you already have several susp. mods, the difference will not be as noticeable. If you are rolling around on stock comfort or similar you can easily tell the difference, and it is good. What bar is the deal you are talking about for?

·
Registered
656 Posts
I found a tasca one for the front towwers, my car is all stock.
Tasca; so the OEM one? I have this installed. What's your stock set up? Comfort, dynamic, sport? Mine was stock comfort and OEM strut bar made a noticeable difference, and was one of the first mods I did. Does the price include all of the hardware? If you pull the trigger on it, make sure to install with the front suspension unloaded, otherwise the impact is minimized.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it's sport, its a 09 r design c30. Do you mean when I install the top strut towwer bar to have the car jacked up from both driver and pasenger sides? yea it comes with 4 bolts, but they look the same as the ones that are already at the top of the towwer.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh okay, I see now, I think it might, but I will have to email the seller monday morning. Its not, that is not too bad a 1.57 for each. Do you have to jack the car since the towwers sit level though?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Yeah have the front end jacked and suspension unloaded when installing the strut brace for best results. The double sided bolts aren't the $1.57 ones, they are the $9.36 ones (#4 on diagram as pczeilon noted). My bar is installed with four of those double sided bolts, not sure why the diagram shows the standard bolts...mine seems to sit pretty well with four double sided bolts, so I think it would be funky with a combo of standard bolts on the rear holes and double bolts on the front or whatever may be suggested by the diagram. You could probably use all standard bolts if you wanted, but removal of your battery cover will suffer along with other possible interferences.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Here's pic without the nuts installed yet... You might want to make a post looking for a used one. Plenty of people installed a shiny aluminum one under the hood.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I have the shiny aluminum one. Its a bit easier to remove when working under the hood but honestly, the difference is subtle to me. I would do a rear sway bar first as the difference there is night and day. You may be able to find a used mazda 3 bar for around $75. (My car is on stock comfort springs and koni fsds and I have the elevate 25mm rear sway bar which is the same as the mazda 3)

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
A front strut bar will make a difference when cornering really fast or pushing your car in AutoX or mountain runs. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade, but I would put that money towards a rear sway bar first. That makes a bigger difference.
For $75, was it the Volvo sway bar or aftermarket? Most of the aftermarket bars are nice, the Volvo bar and the tiny little strut bar Volvo put in some later model P1s don't make as big of a difference.

A rear strut bar behind the back seats make a night and day difference. That's really where support is needed since the car is like a flexible cylinder (hatchback and wagon problem).

·
Registered
2012 Volvo XC60 T6 R-Design
284 Posts
I can confirm on the positive difference of the rear sway bar. I drove a friend's C30 before installing the rsb on my S40, and loved how the car felt like it was rotating around me. My S40 mimicked that feeling once I installed the rsb, so I can only imagine how nice it feels to add one onto a C30!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the replies, this helped alot. I would be intersted in buying a used one though.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
bumping this thread since I have the same question...

will an OEM strut bar provide a noticeable improvement in handling? car is AWD w/ an upgraded RSB and [I believe] dynamic suspension.

The strut bar was delivered today and 1st impression: it's a flimsy POS compared to the sway bar (I can make it bend just by pushing on it lightly). 2nd impression: it didn't include the mounting bolts so I'm out another 40 bucks just to install it.

debating if I should return it and get the Viva bar (more expensive, but undoubtedly stiffer) or just spring for the bolts...

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
Did you get the ~1" thick OEM bar or the ~.5" thick OEM bar?

I just reused the stock bolts. What's 3mm lost? Especially since if you look under the strut, there are still plenty of threads sticking out after feeding them all the way through. I haven't had a problem and I abuse this car in the corners.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I didn't know there were two dia.'s of OEM strut braces, glad I didn't get a 1/2-incher! The effect seems to be relative to existing suspension components in place. With a cushy setup, you will definitely feel the OEM bar, but the more rigid your existing set up is, the less pronounced the feel of the strut brace will be. Maybe someone with dynamic susp and the brace can chime in. I had comfort before swapping out some other susp parts and when I put the OEM brace in as one of my first mods, it was noticeable. All bets are off if you got a 1/2" dia. brace though...

Tappin' via Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I definitely got the 1/2" bar. the thing is barely wider than my index finger! didn't realize there were different sizes...I guess that's why you research thoroughly before buying.

Looks like I'll be returning the strut bar then. Good to know the stock bolts will work.

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
I just reused the stock bolts. What's 3mm lost? Especially since if you look under the strut, there are still plenty of threads sticking out after feeding them all the way through.
The OEM mounting bolts aren't just bolts. They are double-ended threaded studs, and a nut. The reason to use them is so that you can take the strut bar off for servicing (such as removing the battery, or accessing the back of the engine). If you use the existing bolts, you run the risk of dropping the top of strut from the chassis, or changing its alignment.

Here's a photo of the tube-style OEM bar installed on my V50. Note how the ends ride about 1/2" above the bodywork, that's the mounting stud holding it "off".

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
The OEM mounting bolts aren't just bolts. They are double-ended threaded studs, and a nut. The reason to use them is so that you can take the strut bar off for servicing (such as removing the battery, or accessing the back of the engine). If you use the existing bolts, you run the risk of dropping the top of strut from the chassis, or changing its alignment.

Here's a photo of the tube-style OEM bar installed on my V50. Note how the ends ride about 1/2" above the bodywork, that's the mounting stud holding it "off".
Yes, but there is no harm is reusing the stock bolts if you're anxious to try it out.

Honestly, when I had the stock bar, I could still get the battery cover and brake fluid reservoir cap off without much difficulty at all. I never removed the bar once I installed it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts