SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was perusing the IPD site, and saw that the Strut Bar Mount conversion kit seemed popular (http://www.ipdusa.com/products/5037/115037-ipd-strut-bar-mount-conversion-kit).

So I went out to my car ('07 XC90) to see how the mounts felt, and lo and behold, no strut bar. Seems odd, right? I see the empty bolt holes for it on the right side.

Does anyone know the part number for the strut brace so that I can pick it up? I'm assuming it's important!!

·
Registered
696 Posts
You have the 3.2 engine then, right? No bar for you. That's the way they came. Not sure if one could be installed our not.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
It does have an upper torque mount, just not a top bar spanning the struts. The upper mount is on the passenger side of the engine under the cover. It also has two lower torque mounts, one front and one rear, plus the usual pads and mounts. For an aftermarket top bar, if there was a demand for this, certainly in the 8 years the powerplant's been in the XC90 someone would have put it out there and folks on SS would be talking about this by now.

If it's superb handling wanted when cornering with the front end geometry flex mitigated by a strut brace, it ain't gonna be the XC90 for sure (and I have a Sport model with the improved handling package. Nice handling but just nice...). Also, looking at the reviews on the site, most folks with top braces who have anything positive at all to say about removing the top bar side rubber mounts and replacing with these parts are lower slung vehicles that can benefit from yanking around corners and not having the flex. And that also ain't the XC90 (ROPS prevents you from doing any 90 degree yanking to any real extent). I saw one XC90 post on the site "nasty bit of kit for the XC90. caused an unbearable resonance and vibration from between 2800 and 3200RPM. going back to stock.". I might have missed another one but that was what caught my eye. For sure I won't be putting this in either of my XC90s...

Now if one really want to make an XC90 handle well, do some poking around and see about lower and stiffer springs, new shocks, new sway bar with beefier end links, poly bushings, etc. etc., then maybe event get the subframe cross braces noted. Big $$$. But consider that if you were going in that direction, you would certainly be let down by trying to run a modified rig such as this would be with the 3.2 engine.

Want truly excellent cornering and handling? Buy another model with a lower center of gravity and a sport/track stock setup (like an S60R or V70R, maybe a Polestar for something newer). Then go to town.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have the one in the top link installed on my 2007 3.2 XC90.

Overall happy with the purchase.

I'm an example of what ggleavitt said not to do. I have:

Heico springs
Bilsteins
IPD sway bars
H&R spacers
Ultra Racing upper strut brace

Overall, I'm very happy with this set-up and prefer it to my GF's X5.

To each their own.

-- DavidV :D

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Didn't say not to do it, said it didn't make sense to do it with the 3.2. Now a V8 is whole 'nother story.

Lotta money for solid handling in an underpowered ride but yep, to each their own.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Didn't say not to do it, said it didn't make sense to do it with the 3.2. Now a V8 is whole 'nother story.

Lotta money for solid handling in an underpowered ride but yep, to each their own.
Tell that to the Miata guys! :D

Handling and power are both nice to have, but you don't need one to enjoy the other.

In my case, I already have a fast car. I just wanted the XC90 to handle at least as well as my GF's X5. In the end, it surpassed the target I was shooting for.

As an aside, I'm assuming - but don't know for sure - that the 3.2 is less nose heavy than the V8, so it stands to reason that all things being equal, power deficit aside, it might be the better handling platform between the two.

-- DavidV :D

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Any car can do 90mph.. But can it take a turn at 60? That's all handling. I don't think handling and power are mutually linked to each other at all. There are many times that my little 2.5 could have benefitted from better handling and more power wouldn't have changed that situation except maybe getting me to that loose point quicker. I just replaced all my front end suspension and an contemplating the bottom brace for added strength. I have polly bushings top and lower torque rod which helped shifting so much.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts